The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent nonprofit that puts rigorous, independent science into action, developing solutions and advocating for a healthy, safe, and just future. We envision a peaceful, healthy, and just world where science serves people and the planet by guiding policy decisions, reducing risks, and improving lives.
For over five decades, we have been working as scientists, engineers, economists, advocates, and everyday people to create and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting disinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war. Values informing our work include:
- Science in the service of people and the planet.
- Justice and Equity for people of all races and incomes—now, and for future generations.
- Courage to take principled, science-based stands in the public arena.
- Integrity to always examine evidence critically, openly, and honestly.
- Democracy to promote a voice for all in government decisions.
- Action inspiring and mobilizing people to build a healthier, safer, and more just world.
UCS’s Executive Department
The Senior Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for maintaining the month-end and year-end close, including the preparation of accounting journal entries and bank reconciliations. The position will assist with other accounting activities as assigned, such preparing reconciliations and participating in annual audits. The position assists in maintaining the smooth running of all functions of finance. Must maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality of UCS’s financial and personnel information as directed by UCS management and policies.
The essential job duties/responsibilities of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below.
UCS is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. All staff participate in this commitment whether internally, in building a welcoming workplace culture and /or externally, in ensuring inclusive engagement with supporters, media, vendors, allies and others.
- Prepare monthly accounting journal entries and bank reconciliations.
- Provide financial tracking information to the Development Team and budget managers.
- Reconcile general ledger activity and subsidiary accounts; contribute to the preparation of monthly financial statements, including distributing monthly revenue and expenditure reports to UCS departments electronically.
- Ensure accuracy of all expenses, revenue, and activity when each month is closed.
- During high volume contribution times, such as calendar year-end, assist in tracking, reconciling, and gathering appropriate back-up documentation for incoming donations.
- Assist in organization’s monthly financial closing process and fiscal year-end audit process.
- Complete all aspects of investment paperwork related to inherited accounts in which UCS is named a beneficiary. Provide updates to relevant staff, ensure distribution of funds is received, and manage appropriate audit materials.
- Maintain back-up documentation for all accounting and financial activity and assist in the ongoing accounting of UCS’s revenue.
- Work with relevant Development staff on reconciling organization’s revenue and different revenue categories with Raiser’s Edge platform. Assist in troubleshooting when discrepancies or uncertainties arise.
- Review expense budget coding as needed for employee submitted expenses and answer questions related to employee expenses, including reporting from all staff.
- Maintain tracking and accounts for fixed assets and capital purchases.
- Assist in preparing documentation for the annual audit, Form 990, charitable registrations, and reporting requirements.
- Assist in the design and usability of the Finance Team’s document management and storage system website (SharePoint).
- Maintain and update Finance Team procedures/manuals and documentation ensuring they are accurate. Revise when necessary.
- Maintains awareness of role as representative of UCS; ensures activities and statements enhance organizations reputation and credentials among press, public, and private sectors; promotes UCS, advances organizational objectives, and enhances funding opportunities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Three to five years of comparable experience in accounting is required.
- Accounting, finance, or a business degree is preferred.
- A combination of training and experience should allow the incumbent to accomplish basic duties with minimal supervision as to procedures and accuracy.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Superb organizational skills are essential with the ability to learn quickly, and problem solve effectively.
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage multiple deadlines.
- Communicates effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well on a team, critical thinking skills, creativity, and desire to learn and grow with a commitment to process improvements and excellence.
- Flexibility in specific job duties and responsibilities, willingness to tackle additional tasks as necessary.
- Adaptable to current operating systems in place.
- Knowledge of general accepted accounting principles (GAPP).
- Understanding of core accounting area and principles including accounts payable, cash management, and revenue recognition.
- Experience with accounting software is a strong plus with exposure to Sage Intacct, Bill.com, and Concur being highly preferred.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
May spend extended periods at computer.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. We’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time remote position based out of our Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary range is $80,531 to $90,600. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. *CA Resident Only, we offer a 12% salary differential*
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
This position is NOT in the bargaining unit.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
For in office roles, UCS employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. All new hires who will be reporting to an office location must provide notice of their vaccination status and vaccination documentation, on or before their first day of work. For all others, UCS strongly encourages full vaccinations among its employees, up to and including booster shots, even if working remotely.
Deadline: Until filled.