Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel, Product, to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We are a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but also handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You will be the head of our legal product function, overseeing a group of experienced lawyers who are the primary interface between the Legal team and our Engineering, Product, and Design teams. As part of evolving this function to operate at scale and adapt to the changing needs of our fast-paced business, you will gain a deep knowledge of our product portfolio as well as an understanding of our organizational goals while advising the business team on a myriad of issues, from consumer protection, cannabis advertising restrictions, intellectual property, privacy and data privacy matters, and more. In addition, you will collaborate with business partners throughout the organization and help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The impact you’ll make:
- Lead our legal product function, guiding the development of new processes and guidelines for the legal review of products and features.
- Provide strategic advice and counsel to the Engineering, Product, and Design teams regarding new and existing product offerings and functionalities in light of a rapidly changing legal environment, including those laws related to data privacy and security and usage, as well as company policies and strategy.
- Manage and support the team of lawyers in the product legal function, providing strategic input and guidance to the team on complex issues and reviews while helping to scale, grow, and increase the organizational visibility of the team.
What you’ve accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 12+ years of relevant attorney experience advising product development teams on matters such as privacy, intellectual property, consumer protection, or other regulatory compliance.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing highly productive, business-minded attorneys.
- Experience building a product review process at a consumer-facing technology platform, including from inception to working at scale.
- Experience responding to regulatory and auditor inquiries relating to product compliance.
- Minimum of 12 years of advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Experience advising on the Communications Decency Act, platform payment products, user-related matters, and consumer protection regulations, including FTC regulations (UDAP) and guidelines, CAN-SPAM, and TCPA.
- Background in digital advertising and e-commerce.
- Experience building a data privacy program and implementing privacy and compliance by design programs for North American and EU markets.
- Experience structuring and drafting for bespoke technology transactions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet the needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting, and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Strong track record of hiring, training, managing and developing attorneys.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and paralegals, business associates, and other team members.
- Passion for startups and technology.
Our 2022 Benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee – employer-paid premium 100%
- Dependent – employer-paid premium 80%
- HMO – Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA – Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D – employer-paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- BenefitEd (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings), including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit, and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office
- Casual work environment, no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with your Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights, and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: email@example.com
- INCORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
If you are unsure if a communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com, and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance; we appreciate your interest in working with us!