The New Jersey State Office of Innovation is looking for diverse and experienced team members to deploy world-class innovative and digital services that solve pressing public interest challenges for the people of New Jersey. Our work spans numerous issue and policy areas, and is focused on making an impact in the lives of the New Jerseyans that we serve: we’ve decreased the amount of time it takes to apply for Unemployment Insurance, made it easier to start, operate, and grow a business in the Garden State, and connected millions of New Jerseyans to government programs, services, and benefits.
Our team members wear many hats, contributing to both the execution of core projects and the evolution of the Office of Innovation. We use data and modern research, design, and development methods to inform our decision making, and we collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of government to understand and solve challenges. To learn more about the New Jersey Office of Innovation, visit our about us page. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
For this role, we are seeking product managers with at least 5 years of experience leading cross-functional teams using data-driven decision making, equitable human-centered design, agile methodologies, and modern practices. Product managers will report to the initiative directors of either the Resident Experience initiative or the Business Experience initiative depending on the project assignment.
As a part of the team, your responsibilities may include:
- Deliver solutions that meet the needs of diverse users across New Jersey
- Lead end-to-end product and project management activities to enable the delivery of modern solutions that meet the needs of users for a key project
- Lead agile ceremonies including backlog grooming, sprint planning, and team retrospectives to support iterative design and delivery goals
- Take problems that may be poorly specified and find the best software solutions, including evaluating custom developed vs. SAAS options
- Identify and engage with external experts and resources that can inform, improve, and accelerate our products
- Establishing or refining the project environment necessary to operate as a high performing cross-functional team in partnership with diverse stakeholders
- Develop and communicate the vision, strategy, and product roadmap
- Develop and maintain documentation such as product outlines, briefs, and release plans
- Manage state requirements in the delivery of products and services
- Support team members by helping them clear any challenges they may encounter
- Communicating and collaborating with partners throughout the state to ensure we are enabling their long-term success
- Drive open communication regarding the project with the public (e.g., blog posts)
- Take part in office-wide initiatives, such as stand-ups, to enable collaboration and support across projects
Preferred Technical Experience, Skills and Abilities
Applicants will be assessed based on an ability to excel at leading a team to build digital products and navigating complex environments to enable delivery.
We are seeking individuals with the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Leading the development of multiple digital products or services, or leading the development of multiple features in large products
- Creating and managing the product vision based on user research and metrics
- Conducting rapid evidence reviews, research, and field scans
- Leading teams through the adoption of new tools, technologies, or methodologies
- Leading products with multiple dependencies requiring joint releases to achieve measurable and demonstrated business objectives
- Leading intrapreneurial efforts with measurable and demonstrated impact to the organization
- Leading teams using modern iterative, user-centered, continuous delivery methodologies
- Translating product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes
- Scoping and prioritizing technical and design tasks into delivery plans
- Conducting and supporting regular sprint meetings
- Facilitating issue management and tracking through an online platform
- Facilitating the delivery and iteration of digital services through effective analysis of qualitative and quantitative user data
- Collaborating closely with stakeholders across government to gather their input and enable their success
- Reporting progress to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
Compensation: Up to $136,500 (depending on experience) + Full benefits
The New Jersey Office of Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
We are deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seek to create a pluralistic community for all.
We strongly encourage people of color, members of racial and ethnic minority groups, women, LGBTQI+ people, those with disabilities, and Veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of New Jersey’s incredible diversity.
We do not discriminate against any candidate because of color, race, age, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, pregnancy, marital status, status as a parent, ancestry, national origin, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, retaliation, or other non-merit based factors.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Candidates may be required to pass a background check and complete additional steps as part of the application and onboarding process. You will be considered an “at-will” employee, meaning both employer and employee have the right to terminate employment with or without cause or notice.