FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $5 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 180+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
About the role
Our sales team is 65 people, and growing. We are looking for a seasoned sales executive to be our VP, Sales. Our sales team is made up of an Account Executive team and an SDR team, both of which have middle managers and directors who report to the VP, Sales.
We’re looking for someone with strong business acumen, deep experience with SaaS sales organizations, and excellent people management skills. The team has grown quickly, quadrupling in the last year, and we’re looking for a leader who can help support the team to drive toward sales goals, develop systems to streamline the sales process, and make data-driven decisions to understand opportunities and challenges happening within the sales team and work closely with managers to implement plans.
We recently closed our Series B, and are looking for a VP, Sales to shape a quickly growing sales organization at a high-impact, mission-driven startup.
This position reports to Patrick Schmitt, co-CEO.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don’t think that an individual’s pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. When we make an offer, we provide multiple options so that employees can choose between compensation packages that prioritize salary or stock options. We also have historically offered competitive annual raises. The compensation package for this role will be discussed in the early stages of the interview process.
- Oversee and continue to scale at sales team of 60+ individuals comprised of SDRs, AEs and sales managers
- Continue to optimize our existing 4 main business segments: Faith, Key Accounts, Grassroots and Core sales
- Manage 5 Sales Directors, each of whom has up to 8 direct reports, to hit sales goals
- Manage the Directors of Sales Enablement and Sales Development
- Collaborate with Marketing & Sales Development leadership to ensure efficient and effective lead generation across multiple channels
- Work with Sales Enablement to codify and enhance sales onboarding, training and coaching
- Work closely with Partner Success and Account management leadership to minimize churn and maximize expansion revenue opportunities
- Ensure that commission plans are creating proper incentives and behaviors
- Work with revenue operations to ensure sales territories are optimized and equitable
- Manage the overall pipeline, making sure that processes, checkpoints and systems lead to peak sales performance
- Work closely with the revenue operations team to understand the overall pipeline, gain insights into sales opportunities, and work with team leaders to adjust plans for the team
- Serve as a thought partner to the co-CEO on strategic decisions, thinking critically and surfacing opportunities and roadblocks for different options
- Serve as a member of the company’s executive team, which works to set the direction of the company and facilitates cross-functional collaboration to meet company goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Smart, tenacious, and kind, with a growth mindset
- People management: 5+ years of experience managing sales managers and high performance sales teams of 40 Account Executives or more
- Great sales experience: 10+ years of experience and proven success in SaaS sales at a company with multiple products; experience in sales operations a plus
- Experience managing change: strong listening skills and ability to manage change in a complexifying organization
- Sales process management: strong organizational skills and experience building out processes to manage a growing sales team
- Ability to take a strategic decision and run with it, figuring out how to develop and implement a plan with a large team
- Ability to understand data and make data-driven decisions about management
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.