Director of Internal Communications
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
What We Can Achieve Together:
The Director of Internal Communications is responsible for managing and implementing, strategic internal communications aligned with top organizational priorities and leadership goals. They will work in collaboration with leadership and colleagues from around the organization to support the delivery of TNC’s 2030 Goals.
The Director leads a team of Internal Communications professionals and will have broad management / strategic / financial oversight into the performance and direction of the team which is responsible for implementing the strategy, and providing essential counsel and tools to teams and colleagues around the Conservancy to manage their own team communications, ensuring that staff are informed, engaged and inspired about our Mission.
The Director also provides crucial counsel in times of crisis and in rapid response situations, ensuring that due consideration is given to a wide range of employee needs and expectations. They will work closely with executive leaders during high-pressure and sometimes sensitive situations to provide guidance and direct support. The role is responsible for managing a community of practice of internal communicators across the organization, who play a key role in increasing connectivity, efficiency and regional engagement.
The role requires collaboration with colleagues in the marketing division as well as across other functions to ensure support for all staff. They will build a strong network of advocates and allies throughout the organization to ensure diverse perspectives inform all internal communications strategies and stories. Occasional travel will be required for things like business meetings, events, team retreats, or professional development. The work location is flexible within the United States, and remote and hybrid options are available.
As Director of Internal Communications, you will:
· Develop and execute the internal communications strategy to inspire and engage staff in accomplishing TNC’s organizational priorities.
· Carry responsibility and accountability for meeting KPIs aligned with organization and divisional strategic goals and objectives.
· Provide team vision and leadership to ensure effective collaboration performing to plan and priority programs.
· Manage a team of fulltime staff and be accountable for guiding team contributions to organizational objectives and their professional development objectives.
· Collaborates with the office of the CEO to develop and execute a leadership communications strategy, providing strategic counsel and support for members of the Executive Leadership Team to build staff engagement.
· Partner with leaders to achieve alignment and act with agency and autonomy to deliver on agreed internal communications strategies.
· Lead a network of professionals around TNC who have internal communications in their role, to keep them up to date on developments, opportunities and upcoming priorities.
· Ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion are reflected in all internal communications strategies across TNC.
· Determine the strategy for high profile All Staff events for the CEO and Executive Leaders and oversee their execution by the Internal Communications team.
· Build a culture of recognition and celebration in partnership with the Employee Relations & Engagement team.
· Actively manage team budget, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed, and provide input to departmental budget process.
· Design and direct complex and diversified projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, and ensuring program accountability.
· Decisions can commit resources for programs or initiatives in a way that has organization wide impact.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe In, where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team. The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience leading, organizing, and directing complex projects. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
The ideal candidate will have all or some of these qualifications – if you don’t have all of them, apply anyway and tell us about your skills and experience:
· Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
· Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
· Master’s degree or extensive professional experience.
· Experience developing communication and engagement strategies and evaluating effectiveness of communications.
· Senior level experience in communications field.
· Excellent writing, presentation, communication, mediation and negotiation skills.
· Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
· Experience and/or understanding of communication best practices at a decentralized organization.
· Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution on a large multi-disciplinary team.
· Proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners, vendors, board members, and senior leaders both internal and external.
· Proven ability in managing the fiduciary aspects of planning and delivery of annual budgets.
What You’ll Bring:
· Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 10 years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience, including at least 3 years’ experience at a senior management level.
· Experience managing multiple staff and dispersed teams with an emphasis on producing top tier contributions while maintaining flexibility and work/life balance and fostering an environment of creativity and professional growth.
· Experience developing organization-wide internal communications strategies for leadership and measuring results.
· Experience cultivating and managing relationships with senior level executives as well as internal and external clients and vendors. Experience developing and leading complex projects or programs including financial responsibility and measuring results of strategic plans and programs.
· Experience designing, directing and implementing multiple projects.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including: health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!