We are looking for a Technical Lead – Data to join our growing Data team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will evolve our data models, operationalize production-grade data pipelines, and contribute to our document mining/information retrieval initiatives as we expand our ability to extract valuable insights from scientific publications and databases.
You will get to lead specific data projects that directly contribute to our client’s understanding of drug discovery research. This is a fit for you if you excel at pulling meaningful insights from data, love making an impact and want to share your technical creativity and expertise with the folks around you. The technical lead role is a unique expansion of the scope of a Senior Data engineer that takes on multiple facets of technical leadership, team building, and defining our technical roadmap.
BenchSci is a remote-first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
- Scale data pipelines to allow our data to go from research to platform quickly and reliably
- Manage sources that contain both semi-structured and unstructured data
- Collaborate with ML, Data engineers and Science to solve complex document mining challenges, helping us capture and model additional scientific experiments
- Use your experience to help define and apply best practices for a broad platform of technologies in a cloud-based environment
- Lead or consult the authoring of engineering design proposals following the unified Platform Stream roadmap at BenchSci
- Lead sprint planning, estimations, and code + design reviews
- Partner with the Engineering Manager and other Tech Leads to recruit and build the team
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer in cloud and data.
- Expertise with Python and SQL
- Experience with data processing engines (we use Beam)
- Experience with cloud (we use GCP) including reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A strong background in data structures and large-scale data manipulation
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Experience leading teams and software delivery
- Proficient with agile processes (sprint planning, estimation)
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they’re the organization’s beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other’s differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations: Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please reach out to email@example.com.