Yahoo is a global media and tech company that connects people to their passions. We reach nearly 900M people around the world, bringing them closer to what they love—from finance and sports, to shopping, gaming and news—with the trusted products, content and tech that fuel their day. For partners, we provide a full-stack platform for businesses to amplify growth and drive more meaningful connections across advertising, search and media.
TechCrunch is a leading technology media property, dedicated to obsessively profiling startups, reviewing new Internet products, and breaking tech news. Founded in June 2005, TechCrunch is read by millions of unique visitors every month and has a massive following on social media. The company hosts major conferences and events, including the renowned Disrupt series and various meet-ups worldwide, serving as community platforms for industry conversation and collaboration.
Interested in building innovative new products for massive audiences? TechCrunch is looking for a strong web developer to join our team. This means solving complex, unique and large-scale problems, and working with a passionate team to help TechCrunch grow and innovate. This is a mission critical role, building and improving upon the technology that makes the full breadth of the TechCrunch business possible, from the events we produce to the stories we publish.
- Proven track record of shipping products with solid, maintainable code.
- A builder of products that have been used by large audiences and take quality seriously.
- Enjoy problem solving and have strong debugging skills.
- Write code with the end user in mind, and appreciate how getting the details right leads to a great user experience.
- Experience with testing automation and test-driven development.
- You have experience working in a CI/CD environment, including tools.
- Great problem solving and communication skills.
- Build compelling new experiences, features, and tools for TechCrunch.com.
- Collaborate with product managers, user experience designers, and other engineers.
- Perform assorted maintenance and iteration tasks as needed, including optimizing the website to improve performance.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Evangelize best practices around web development and advise key stakeholders on the best technical approaches to problems.
- Stay up to date on the latest web technologies and, where appropriate, implement them in production.
- 5+ years of relevant web development experience.
- Fluency in PHP and prior experience with WordPress.
- A BA, BS or MS in a relevant field is a strong plus.
- Good understanding of algorithms, data structures, performance optimization techniques
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
The compensation for this position ranges from $128,250.00 – $266,875.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.