Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a Solutions Engineering Manager to join our expanding Solutions Engineering team. It’s an exciting time for our Safety Net Services team as our work is expanding with an ambitious national strategy, adding product delivery in additional states, creating replicable, scaleable products and consulting with states trying to improve their existing services.
About the Role:
Code for America is looking for a State Solutions Engineering Manager to help build out our Solutions Engineering delivery team. Over the next five years your team will be responsible for the successful implementation of next-generation safety net services for up to a dozen different states.
You will be working directly with states as part of a cross-functional team implementing and integrating the company’s core platforms and products into existing state infrastructure. As State Solutions Engineering Manager you should have experience managing multiple IT implementation projects, vendor relationships and external systems integrations: especially within, or contracting to, government agencies.
As an early member of our Solutions Engineering team at Code for America you will help us frame the work and define the contours of the role over time. This position is fully remote will report to the Director of Solutions Engineering.
In this position you will:
- Maintain ongoing government IT and vendor relationship throughout the lifecycle of our engagements with the state
- Draft and oversee our technical implementations plans, project schedules and statements of work
- Setup and configure the company’s core safety net product and platform components in state environments
- Integrate with states existing eligibility and case management workflow systems
- Implement / integrate third party or open source software as part of our state solutions
- Assist in documenting and communicating technical best practices and in the framing of government RFPs
- Assist with internal and external documentation around delivery of our state solutions
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers
- Experience with technical relationship and vendor management
- Fast learning curve and capacity to get up to speed in new technologies as needed
- Proven success building and managing technical implementation teams
- Strong self management skills and a proven ability to manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working with or in government
- Willingness to travel, post Covid.
Bonus if you have:
- Prior experience in a similar partner-facing role (Solutions Architect/Engineer, Sales Engineer, Technical Account Manager, etc)
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the social safety net, or other mission-relevant government services
- Recent Devops and systems integration experience
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range are as follows:
- Staff Solutions Engineering Managers – The targets for this role range from $128,945 – $157,850.
- Principal Solutions Engineering Managers – The targets for this role range from $143,884 – $176,138.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.