Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations – including government agencies and nonprofits – use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people data in containers called merits (Watch this video to learn more: What is Merit?), and grant them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access, and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50 Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
Ohio Department of Education – Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) Program
After the Ohio State Legislature created the $125M 2-year Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) educational savings account program, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) contracted Merit to inform parents, guardians, and businesses about the new opportunity and eligibility requirements. Merit developed and delivered support systems, workflows, and digital assets for the ACE program. ODE issued digital credentials to parents and guardians certifying student eligibility, enabling them to use the grants with service providers listed in the Education Marketplace, and the Ohio ACE app is a single destination to view account balances and submit claims.
Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)
DPOR partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s salaries are competitive and transparent. Here’s a look at our pay bands based on different roles.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture, products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth and merits represent the truth.
A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
Benefits at Merit
Remote first with flexible working hours Unlimited time-off with encouraged minimums
Medical plans designed to provide comprehensive, high-quality medical and prescription drug coverage with low to no deductible
Dental and Vision coverage
Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support Income protection through basic life insurance, voluntary additional life insurance, and disability insurance
Fully paid parental leave for 6 months for both Moms and Dads
Additional support resources like Rightway care concierge, One Medical, Sibly, and SoFi to support employees in getting the most from their benefits from financial to mental health support
A dedicated People Operations team always looking for feedback and new opportunities to provide benefits that meet the needs of our employees
Salary Band: $175,500 – $195,000
We’re looking to hire an experienced engineer to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a Staff Infrastructure Engineer, you will design, architect, and build key infrastructure components to run our high-volume platform flawlessly, and support the infra needs of engineers.
Merit’s platform runs on Google Cloud Platform and uses the Anthos (Istio) service mesh on Kubernetes, which we manage using Terraform. The technologies employed by our stack include PostgreSQL, Kafka, Redis, and Elasticsearch. Our backend is being developed in Golang. Our mobile and web apps are built using React Native and TypeScript. We use a REST API to communicate between our frontend and backend, as well as for our 3rd party developers to interface with the platform.
Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. We are a remote organization with some travel.
What you will do
- Own entire portions of our infrastructure and be part of the journey all the way from ideation, performing technical design, implementation to production deployment, while making technical decisions that impact the success of the company
- Adhere to our philosophy of “infrastructure as code” by implementing infrastructure in code, and participating in code reviews for infrastructure changes
- Automate creation, tear down and management of our external & internal facing environments using Terraform
- Manage our cloud infrastructure along with container orchestration using Kubernetes and the Istio service mesh
- Create tooling, real time dashboards, monitoring, alerts to keep uptime high, production incidents low, and incident resolution response times very short
- Provide fast, stable, and reliable builds and tests across our entire tech stack
- Provide self-service access for engineering teams to create, deploy and access infrastructure
- Participate in regular reviews of production changes, alerts, and resource utilization, and implement remedial actions with utmost urgency
- Participate in regular security audits, reviews and implement remedial actions with utmost urgency
- Learn through code reviews, technical guidance, and mentorship, and help others grow through those same means
- Learn to identify opportunities to compound the growth and efficiency of our team
- Build infrastructure to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
Experience & Skills
- 7+ years of work experience in managing cloud or on-prem infrastructures
- Extensive hands-on scripting experience and proficiency in Python, Go, Bash, etc.
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the areas of system administration, networking or security
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience