It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
About the Team
The Yahoo Edge Engineering Group writes the code that runs Yahoo’’s internal content delivery network (CDN). We develop the open source Apache Traffic Server as well as internal solutions for content caching, edge security, traffic shaping and routing, load balancing and failover, and IPv6 translation. Our code makes delivering Yahoo properties fast and reliable.
A Lot About You
- Have open source software development experience
- Have administration or development experience with web servers like ATS, Nginx, Squid, Httpd, etc.
- Have a solid understanding of large scale, widely distributed system performance software projects
- Thrive in a cross functional team on high profile, critical projects with high reliability and performance requirements
- Design key components of the system and for establishing consensus for your designs
- Implement such designs while guiding and mentoring the less experienced engineers who assist you
- Ensure that the quality and performance of the components you develop are exceptional, writing extensive test cases and using modern CI/CD infrastructure.
- Work closely with other members of the Engineering team, as well as members of the Testing and Operations teams to solve thorny issues
- Interact closely with Yahoo’s internal community of architects
You Must Have
- A Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 3+ years of industry experience, a Masters with 1+ years, or a PhD.
- Industry experience writing C/C++ or other high level language preferably in a Unix/Linux environment
- Familiarity with build and development tools such as Scons and Parts, Git, Github
- Ability to work well independently, as a member of a mutually reinforcing team, and as a team leader
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Ability to incorporate the best ideas of others into your designs and convince others that your design is sound
- Ability to drive the problem resolution process from start to finish
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
The compensation for this position ranges from $128,250.00 – $266,875.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.