Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 5,500 transit professionals in over 100 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About our Stack
The more familiarity you have with our existing technology stack the better, but we do not expect applicants to have familiarity with all the technologies we use. Technologies are always evolving, and accordingly we seek to constantly adapt as it makes sense to do so.
On the front-end, our MV* framework of choice is Vue.js along with D3.js, Leaflet.js. Cypress is our testing framework of choice, and our CI/CD pipelines are managed with Semaphore CI. On the backend, we expect you would primarily work with our Node.js (TypeScript) services hosted in Amazon AWS, though our real-time data system is written in Java.
About the Role
We are seeking software engineers who are excited by our mission to help cities move more efficiently. You will join our Hindsight product team which builds customer-facing features enabling transit professionals to improve service quality by leveraging historical data. This includes delivering data through APIs and building visualizations of historical transit network performance. Past experience building web applications and APIs is ideal, and previous experience or interest in working with transportation data is a plus!
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the below requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, then we’d love to talk!
Swiftly’s office is located in San Francisco, CA. We are open to candidates based across the US or Ontario, Canada for this role. We are not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time. #LI-Remote
- Work closely with designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build products that delight our customers
- Strive to embody software best practices in your work and proliferate them through teamwork and code reviews
- Embrace a mindset of continuous learning – helping both yourself and those around you adapt as technology constantly evolves
- 4+ years of combined experience in software engineering
- Experience with client-side MV* framework(s) (Vue, React, etc.)
- Experience building backend APIs (Node.js, Express, etc.)
- Knowledge of SQL and RDBMS such as PostgreSQL. It’s a plus if you’ve used other data storage and processing systems.
- Experience with a major cloud platform – AWS, GCP, Azure, or Heroku – and have built software using cloud services.
- Desire to work in a cross-functional team environment that values product and design
- Can give specific feedback on how to design code to be extensible, well-tested, and observable
- Commitment to teaching best practices, testing, and improving code quality
- Demonstrable experience delivering software projects incrementally
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
– Competitive salary
– Stock options for every employee
– Medical, Dental and Vision
– 401k with Employer Match
– Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
– Home office setup reimbursement
– Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
– Monthly Education Reimbursement
– Unlimited PTO
– Flexible work environment
– 17 paid holidays – including 4 holidays in months without US national holidays in 2021
– 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you’re passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer – we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.