mmhmm is an all-in-one platform for making, watching, and talking on videos. We’re on a mission to make video an everyday tool that’s accessible to everyone to communicate in the modern workplace.
We believe that making a video should feel as effortless as sending a text message, as quick as a chat, and as human as a coffee break.
Founded in May 2020, mmhmm is a fully distributed, global company that builds products and services to make the Out-of-Office (OOO) work lifestyle possible.
mmhmm is an All Turtles company. All Turtles is a globally distributed product studio that solves meaningful problems.
As a Senior Staff Software Engineer, Backend at mmhmm, you’ll work as part of a small cross-functional team of engineers and designers to create the next generation of features for our product. While your day-to-day responsibilities will focus on development of backend APIs, systems and infrastructure, you’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to the product definition and design and the overall system architecture.
You’re the right person for this job if you love to work on small, autonomous teams, take pride in the quality of both the code and products that you create, crave variety in your work, and are comfortable working in any part of the server-side stack.
You will be responsible for:
- Driving design and development of the mmhmm service, with an eye toward the security and privacy of user data and the scalability of the system.
- Building both quick prototypes and robust production systems.
- Planning and coordinating with application engineers who will be consuming your services.
- Helping to set the technical direction for the service backend, including choosing new components of the tech stack, evolving the service architecture and defining client-facing APIs.
- Deployment, operations and monitoring of your services.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Spent at least 5+ years in professional software engineering roles.
- Built complex, cloud-native product backends from scratch.
- Strong backend engineering skills, including API and database design, security, scalability and data engineering.
- Deep experience with AWS.
- Experience programming in Go, or equivalent experience with C++ or Java and an aptitude for learning new languages.
- Experience with both relational and NoSQL (e.g. DynamoDB) databases and a point-of-view on when to use what.
- Exceptional communication skills, with an aptitude to convey clear thoughts and ideas.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Experience with streaming video. This is a plus, but not required.
As a company, we realize that talent is evenly distributed throughout the world, but opportunity is not. We believe that you should work where you can have the best impact, and live where you can have the best life.
Compensation is based on an employee’s contribution to the company, not on where they live or how they have been paid in their past jobs. We have standardized, nationwide compensation levels that are set according to everyone’s job. The levels are calculated annually, based on collecting national compensation data, and weighted to be competitive in the most expensive markets for each country.
Distributed Facilities Supplement
We are a fully distributed team, however it is still our responsibility to make sure that employees have a safe, healthy, and productive work environment. We provide each employee with a monthly distributed facilities supplement for them to spend on whatever each employee thinks will give them a healthier and more productive work environment.
We believe that in-person time is precious and best spent building, rather than spending, ‘relationship capital’. To encourage those moments to take place, we offer a ‘Turtle-Crossing’ bonus to employees when they meet in person to build and strengthen relationships with one another.
Health and Vacation Programs
We also offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, where available, as well as parental leave and unlimited vacation (plus an annual vacation bonus).
The Senior Staff Software Engineer, Backend is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the CTO. This role is a remote position, and can be based in any location. Since our distributed team works primarily across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive insurance benefits to our employees and their qualifying dependents, in addition to flexible vacation, a 401(k), parental leave, and a suite of optional benefits and perks programs.
All Turtles and mmhmm are committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.