Jellyvision is hiring a Senior Software Engineer I
What we do
Hello! We’re the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that makes choosing (and using) employee benefits easier and more enjoyable. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think the best way to achieve that is with a staff that reflects the vast range of ideas, perspectives, and experiences of the millions of people who use our products.
Who we are
Jellyvision is committed to continuous evolution and to fostering a more diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone is welcomed, valued, and respected. It doesn’t matter your race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, or country of origin…we just want amazing people who are willing to grow along with us.
How you’ll help
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll help provide technical leadership for a cross-functional team consisting of application, test, and site reliability engineers. You’ll use your experience to assist the team in designing and building straightforward, maintainable solutions to problems – solutions that are only as complicated as they need to be to achieve our desired business outcomes.
What you’ll do
Our Senior Software Engineers will:
- Design clean, straightforward solutions to problems
- Write maintainable, reliable, and performant code
- Coach and mentor less experienced team members
- Give and receive constructive code review feedback
- Ensure the team maintains Jellyvision’s values, standards, and best practices
- Foster an inclusive team environment
- Collaborate with Jellyvision’s non-tech teams (ex. designers, writers, producers)
Experience & skills you’ll need
We’re looking for Senior Software Engineers with 5+ years of relevant experience, strong software design chops, and solid software engineering fundamentals. They should also have experience with the following:
- Experienced with Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails APIs
- Committed to testing their code as a part of writing it (unit, integration, and functional tests)
- Horrified at the thought of working without Source Control
- An excellent giver and receiver of constructive code review feedback
- Solid software engineering fundamentals
- The ability to design and build performant, reliable, and maintainable code
- A passion for code quality, identifying and solving problems, and making sure they stay solved by writing tests.
- A commitment to mentoring and teaching other, less experienced team members.
- Experience with full stack development
- Experience with a relational database (ORMs are great, experience writing raw SQL is even better)
- Experience developing software with Git (especially familiarity with git-flow)
- Docker and DevOps skills (not required, but definitely a plus)
- Communicates Effectively
- Ensures Accountability
- Instills Trust
- Decision Quality
- Optimizes Work Processes
About remote hiring
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, however, our philosophy is “Flexible First”. This means that coming into the office is by choice, not required. But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MI, MN, NC, NE, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!