What We’re Looking For:
Engineering at 2U is dynamic, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us and in return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing and autonomous. You’ll be working directly with product managers and business analysts in a highly collaborative manner.
We are looking for a senior software engineer with experience building and maintaining scalable backend systems. You will participate in the discovery, design and engineering of multiple cross-functional projects, and help troubleshoot complex business and production issues as they arise. You will uphold industry best practices and will help encourage our team to continuously improve. You will demonstrate leadership by advocating for improvements to our systems and processes, and by providing mentorship to our more junior engineers. You will become an expert of the Enrollment Ecosystem, critical for the 2U operation. This will include the data exchanges with the universities, security, registration and provisioning processes, and cross-portfolio operation.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner and about software craftsmanship.
Sitting within the Customer Ops portfolio, the Core Systems team builds and maintains systems that enable 2U staff to effectively support our students, faculty and prospective student applicants. Many of the team’s direct customers are product managers and engineers at 2U.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Write clean, performant code and refactor legacy code to improve maintainability
- Conduct exploratory and automated testing
- Efficiently debug complex problems
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to other team-members
- Plan and estimate development tasks and short-term projects
- Relate your project deliverables to the products you are building and the strategy behind them
- Collaborate with product team (product managers, business analysts) to define and refine requirements
- Practice metrics driven software development
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Node.js, Python and/or Elixir
- Databases and key value stores like MySQL or Redis
- Queuing systems like AWS SQS, Celery or RabbitMQ
- Distributed streaming platforms like Kafka, AWS SNS or AWS Kinesis
- Docker and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes or Mesos
- Monitoring and alerting tools like Grafana, Sensu, Prometheus or Datadog
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Detail orientation
- Able to quickly understand business requirements and recognize when they are incomplete or ambiguous.
- Strong communication
- Able to provide succinct updates on work progress and raise blockers early.
- Being interested in mentoring more junior members and willing to advocate for better/smarter processes, system designs, architecture for the team and our services.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $120,000 with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.