Code for America believes that our government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. Since 2011, we’ve worked with thousands of tech industry professionals to help hundreds of governments take a user-centered, iterative, and data-driven approach to solving problems. We believe that government services can and should be as good as the best consumer services: simple, accessible, and easy to use. And when they are, we spend less, get better outcomes, and serve everyone with dignity and respect.
We’re looking for an experienced prospect researcher to join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization to help secure millions of dollars of philanthropic revenue. The primary purpose of the Senior Manager of Prospect Research is to provide prospect research and data analysis on potential and identified individuals, private and family foundations, and corporations. You will report to the Associate Director of Development Operations and work with a strong Development team to accomplish ambitious revenue goals.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced prospect researcher to support the work of a phenomenal development team and the growth of four program portfolios and unrestricted general operating support while making a meaningful contribution to an organization making a real difference in people’s lives.
In this position you will:
- Identify prospective donors and manage prospects and donor relationships by performing prospect research, preparing reports, and evaluating prospects for outreach and engagement
- Coordinate with Development Officers to ensure prospects move through the pipeline in the Salesforce environment from qualification to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Assess capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assess new opportunities with existing donors.
- Write high-quality donor or prospect briefings 48 hours prior to a meeting
- Review daily, weekly and monthly publications to uncover philanthropic and earned revenue opportunities and produce a a biweekly summary of research findings
- Lead regular meetings designed to move existing prospects through the Salesforce pipeline and to review the biweekly summary with development officers, CRO and CEO
- Conduct research proactively and as-requested according to the ethical standards of the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA)
- Update and maintain donor and donor prospect profiles and database records, including biographical, financial, and philanthropic information
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 5+ years prospect research experience
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized, motivated, and careful attention to detail
- Self-starter who enjoys identifying a set of new philanthropic and earned revenue funders across all portfolios
- Must be flexible and adaptable, and able to juggle competing priorities and last-minute deadlines
- Highly relational and knows how to build trust with both internal and external stakeholders across an organization
- Stellar team player with no ego or drama. You bring a positive, can-do attitude and a passion for the Code for America mission. You understand and model that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork
- Comfortable and enjoy being in a matrixed, fast paced environment, navigating ambiguity, and working through competing priorities
It’s a Bonus If You Have:
- Membership in APRA
- Experience using research tools and platforms
- An aptitude for navigating the Federal Register and federal or state RFPs
What You’ll Get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the salary range for all new hires. The targets for this role depend on the market/geographic location and range from ($98,175 – $115,500).
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.