What we’re building
At Tidelift, we are making open source work better for everyone by helping organizations effectively manage the open source behind modern applications while ensuring open source maintainers get paid for the incredible value they create. We are creating a mutually beneficial commercial model for open source where both creators and enterprise users get what they need, and the world gets even more healthy and secure software that improves our lives.
We’re well-funded and growing fast. You will play a large role in tackling challenging problems and helping expand the company, while learning alongside our experienced team.
Find out more about us on tidelift.com, listen to this recent podcast interview with our CEO Donald Fischer, or read about us in Wired or Business Insider.
We are looking for a Senior Enterprise Account Executive, who will report to our Head of Enterprise Sales. You will own a pipeline of mid to large, targeted enterprise prospects and a quota for acquiring new customers (subscribers). You will have access to a myriad of resources, from a healthy inbound lead funnel to sales acceleration tools to help you achieve your goal. You will play a key role in leading the early sales team through continuous feedback, and refinement of our product, messaging, and sales process.
Our prospects are primarily DevSecOps, Enterprise Architecture and Engineering leaders at companies ranging in size from 10,000 employees and up. Our product is not overly complicated, but our audience is very technical. Familiarity with the software development life-cycle and the day-to-day job of a software developer or team manager will be to your advantage.
We strive for work-life harmony: we believe in doing good work, with urgency and pragmatism, but at a sustainable pace. We value big impact over long hours.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Prospecting into your target accounts
- Qualifying leads and developing them into opportunities
- Demonstrating our product to both technical and business-minded audiences
- Negotiating and closing opportunities with a focus on product fit and retention
- Sourcing additional leads as appropriate to hit and exceed your number
- Managing proofs-of-concept engagements to ensure we demonstrate how the product can address customer pain and scale.
- Monitoring post-sale activities (e.g., delivery, onboarding) to ensure that customers are getting full value from their purchase
- Developing and nurturing relationships with subscribers key executive stakeholders to help expand Tidelift’s footprint within large enterprises. Managing opportunities within Tidelift’s CRM system, recording all client interactions, continually maintaining stage and close dates for opportunities.
- Experience selling enterprise B2B or on-demand/SaaS solutions for application development teams to a technical audience (IT heads / DevOps / Security Ops, etc.)
- Experience working through complex legal and procurement processes
- Experience closing five and six-figure licenses
- Experience with open source software and/or software supply chain management
- Demonstrable over-quota achievement in prior sales roles
- Familiar with team selling
- Experience selling in a startup
- Technical curiosity and a willingness to learn more about our products and customer use cases
- Ability to communicate effectively with both developers and executives
- $140,000 per year base salary
- Opportunity to earn up to $115,000 per year in variable compensation
- Generous stock option grant
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Tidelift is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
We’re trying to build a healthy, values-driven culture. We want to be:
- Optimistic: We see an amazing future ahead, and want to inspire others to share in it. This is both internal—building each other up and looking for the best in people—and external—we know open source is awesome, and we want to make it even better.
- Practical: We know words and ideas alone won’t change lives. We help people most by creating a pragmatic, viable, and sustainable business that works for everyone. So we care about usability, design, and honest assessment of costs and benefits.
- Additive: We want an environment that encourages and inspires growth, both for individuals and for the open source community as a whole. That means embracing a growth mindset, and valuing culture-add over culture-fit.
- Inclusive: We believe technology will be stronger when it better reflects the voices and ideas of society as a whole. So we want people from different backgrounds and experiences to not just be represented, but to be heard, valued, and flourish. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
To find out more about how we live these in practice, we’ve written more about living our values “inside and out”.
Working at Tidelift
We are (and have been) remote-first from day 1. In this role you would have the option to work remotely from anywhere in the US. We get together in person 2-4 times a year, so some ability to travel is required (though we aim not to require travel on weekends, and travel remains optional during COVID). We’ve written more about how we do remote work here, here, and here.
We believe in the urgency of our mission and the importance of doing good work, but also know this is a marathon and not a sprint. Hours are flexible when necessary to meet personal needs (like child, medical, or elder care).
Tidelift is committed to the safety of its employees, and so requires that all employees be vaccinated for COVID before participating in any in-person company activities.
Compensation, benefits and career
Tidelift’s approach to compensation is designed to ensure that we are staying true to our core values of being optimistic, additive, inclusive, and practical. We do this by:
- Rewarding tenure: We are optimists, believing that each of us is bringing our best to work each day. In this spirit, we provide predetermined raises of at least 3% each year based on the belief that you are working hard and learning more about Tidelift and your role, making yourself more valuable to the company every day. Each year we will refresh our model for rewarding tenure with new market data, and share an updated compensation trajectory with you.
- Holding firmly to a no-negotiation policy: In the spirit of our values to be inclusive and additive, we believe employees hired to perform the same role should receive the same compensation, regardless of location, negotiation prowess, prior salary, or years of experience prior to joining Tidelift. All Tidelift offers have compensation packages that are determined prior to the start of recruitment. This, along with a structured interview process, is intended to mitigate the effects of both shifting criteria bias and the ask gap on wages within Tidelift, and is an essential element of our equity, diversity, and inclusion strategy.
- Sharing our process transparently. You and your colleagues are doing important work, and we want to compensate you fairly in return. We transparently document how we approach compensation at Tidelift, including our methodology for calculating initial offers, raises, and promotions, so that you know exactly what you can expect from us over your career here.
In addition to cash and equity compensation, Tidelift offers medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance as well as the ability to contribute pre-tax dollars to flexible spending and retirement (401k) accounts. As a remote-first company, we offer a variety of remote work stipends to cover expenses such as co-working spaces, internet, and phone connections. Finally, all employees have access to generous vacation and gender-neutral parental leave policies as well as the ability to reimburse up to $5k annually for their own professional development.