At Brooklyn Data Company, we’re crafting a place where data people love to work. We are thought leaders working towards meaningful, sustainable growth as individuals, as an organization, and as analytics partners with our clients.
Our growing team is fully remote and distributed, which means we can collaborate from wherever works best for each team member. With staff and clients from Los Angeles to Lagos, South America to Central Europe, we currently operate across 9 time zones (Central European Time to US Pacific Standard Time).
What we’re looking for
We’re seeking folks who think critically about how data can best support and inform organizational needs and culture. Senior analysts at Brooklyn Data write code, conduct analysis, and leverage their experience to help teammates and clients do the same.
We’d love to hear from you if…
…You’re the kind of person who
- Values diverse, inclusive teams and creating an environment where people of all identities, experiences, and backgrounds can thrive
- Embraces an environment where you’ll be exposed to a variety of companies, business challenges, and tools/software
- Thrives or would thrive in a remote-first, distributed work environment
- Appreciates thinking about the “why” in addition to the “how”
…You’ve done some of these things in your career
- Worked collaboratively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to achieve an organizational goal
- Worked in a consulting, SaaS, or e-commerce company
- Provided technical mentorship
- Worked in an agile environment
- Worked in a remote environment
…As a data analyst, you’ve:
- Used SQL to write complex queries that join data across multiple systems (bonus points for proficiency in dbt!)
- Derived key business metrics such as customer acquisition cost, customer lifetime value, monthly recurring revenue, or customer retention rate
- Collaborated and shared results with teammates who have varying levels of statistical expertise
- Designed, analyzed, and interpreted the results of experiments
- Used statistics to communicate significance, confidence, or probability
- Created visualizations using tools like Looker, Tableau, Mode, or Periscope/Sisense for Cloud Data Teams
- Mentored or helped others grow in your field
Things you might do at Brooklyn Data:
- Help our clients select, create, and report on key performance indicators or OKRs
- Collaborate with clients and product managers to plan for analytics needs for a product or feature launch
- Build data models to support reporting and analysis
- Pair with a teammate or with someone at a client on strategies for solving an analytical problem
- Mentor team members at Brooklyn Data or at a client
- Dig into the root cause of reporting issues
- Create an analysis, process, or reporting template that helps teams solve for common analytics problems
- Walk stakeholders through your findings and recommendations
What it’s like working at Brooklyn Data
We’re at an important time in our company’s history: the beginning. That means we don’t have things perfect yet, but we’re enthusiastically crafting a culture that’s inclusive, career-minded, and action-oriented from the start. We welcome feedback and input on everything from hiring to onboarding to project management practices. We hold each other to practicing our company values, to finding ways to strengthen the areas we each need to grow in, and to finding ways to take care of each other throughout.
You can expect to hone your technical skills and business acumen with opportunities on a variety of client engagements, by making open-source contributions to the data community, and by contributing to our pro-bono efforts. You’ll learn to sharpen your focus on useful, small iterations of work and to speak up when you need help planning and prioritizing. You’ll be able to share the things you’re really good at, learn from each of your coworkers, and have space for all the great things you love doing outside of work, too.
What to expect from the screening process
- Kick-start questions – Your answers to the application questions will help us understand how your experience and interests map to what we need to grow the team. Note that as part of our blind review process, we don’t review resumes at the application stage. Your application answers carry all the weight at this point in our screening process.
- Intro chat – You’ll speak to a manager about your background and interests and get a chance to learn more about Brooklyn Data.
- Work on problems that reflect the job – You’ll submit your responses to a set of exercises designed to reflect the technical and communication skills you’ll need on the job. We hope it both gives us a sense of your skills and you a sense of day-to-day work at Brooklyn Data. We’ll pay you a stipend for your time so that the time (about 4 hours worth) doesn’t create an unfair barrier for any applicants.
- Chat with your potential future co-workers by phone or Zoom – You’ll chat for about an hour with a few of the people you’ll be working with. We’ll share our key questions in advance, because we want to level the introvert / extrovert playing ground, to have you as much at ease as possible, and to make the best possible use of our time together. You’ll also have some time to ask questions of the team.
- References – We’ll ask to speak to two or three people who can speak to your work.
- Our decision – If you’re selected, we’ll make an offer and open the avenues for communication with our team members to support you in making your decision. If you’re not selected in the current round, we promise to give you some context as to why not, if you’d find that useful. Keep in mind that we’re growing, and we expect there to be many future opportunities!
Note that our clients are mostly US-based, and so we look for the ability to communicate with clarity in English, verbally and in writing.
Compensation & Benefits
- Senior Analyst I, $104,275
- Senior Analyst II, $112,875
- Senior Analyst III, $123,265
* Compensation totals are for US Based team members. Non-US-based team members are hired as full-time contractors and receive a salary adjusted for cost of living in their location.
100% premium-covered healthcare + dental + vision coverage for you (and partner or family)
401(k) with 3% company contribution
Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
Paid parental leave (12 weeks birthing parent, 6 weeks non-birthing parent)
18 days PTO, holidays (including a week off in December), and 2 floating holidays
$1500 for equipment and office setup allowance
$1500 per calendar year for continuing education
$1500 per calendar year for continuing education
To best align with our current clients’ time zones, we are hiring candidates in North and South America in this round. Non-US-based team members are hired as full-time contractors and receive a salary adjusted for cost of living in their location. In addition, they receive a health insurance allowance, an accounting allowance, and additional compensation in lieu of health coverage, 401(k), and insurance. All team members are eligible for parental leave, PTO, holidays, and equipment setup.
About Brooklyn Data Co.
Brooklyn Data provides the technical skills, experience, and leadership to deliver best-in-class data capabilities. That means we act as an extension of your organization–collaborating in real-time with your data team and stakeholders, flexing to provide support in the areas you need most.