As a senior engineer on the plex.tv team, you’ll get to devise, design, implement, and maintain components that form the very core of the Plex ecosystem. Joining some of the friendliest co-workers you could ask for – from all over the world! –, you’ll have chances to collaborate, learn, and mentor on a wide variety of topics.
What you’ll do
- You will help develop and strengthen complex authentication systems, serving millions of requests per day.
- You will be responsible for maintaining and evolving a multi-faceted billing system, supporting various kinds of subscriptions, in-app purchases and marketplaces.
- You will work on the generation and storage of millions of SSL certificates – one of the biggest pools on the Internet!
- You will collaborate with other engineers, designers, and product owners to help shape the future of Plex’s Video on Demand platform.
What you bring to the table
- You have at least 3 years of relevant experience building large-scale backend services.
- You know how to write secure, high-volume applications in Ruby (preferably Rails).
- You have experience with databases at scale – in particular Mysql (we use Amazon RDS Aurora) and MongoDB.
- You are detail-oriented and have an eye for future-proof, well-structured code (we are fans of Domain-Driven Design).
- You have some experience with cloud-based infrastructure – in particular Docker, Kubernetes, and Amazon services.
- Experience/interest in Node.js, Elixir, and Elasticsearch are a plus.
- You are kind, humble, helpful and enjoy getting stuff done
- You are intrinsically motivated, able to manage your time, and enjoy working with a distributed team across the globe
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall
- You are hungry to have an impact, continuously working to improve our product, process and push the team to be its best
Who we are
Plex is a global streaming media platform that gives millions of customers around the world the freedom to enjoy all the content they love in one simple, beautiful app. Our vision is to empower real human connection by bringing people and entertainment together. So, we’re on a mission to create a global community for streaming content that people can depend on to easily discover, experience, and share all of the entertainment that matters to them.
What sets us apart
- We are the largest independent streaming platform built by a global team of employees who are fanatically passionate about delivering the highest quality, most unified, and user-friendliest entertainment experience possible.
- We have always been a distributed organization, with people making great things happen in nearly 20 different countries and 11 time zones.
- We host epic in-person off-sites to bring team members together a few times a year.
- We are passionate about our mission and we work hard, while still providing flexibility around a schedule that works for you.
- We love what we’re building and our user community is an integral part of our development process. We actively engage with customers to understand what is working, what they want more of, and how we can be better.
- We are committed to improving the communities where we live and work with charitable contributions, partnerships, and service.
- Plex hires new team members in countries around the world.
- As such, Plex does not sponsor employment visas.
- All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our hiring team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
- Also, please note, though we largely work asynchronously, as it relates to meetings, those generally occur between UTC 1600 to UTC 1900
The Plex Values
- Be kind, humble, and helpful.
- Approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- Put yourself on the customer’s couch.
- Be a good steward. Like a boss!
- Build relationships to ensure healthy debate.
- Foster a global and diverse team spirit.
- Show gratitude and give back.
- Seek balance for yourself and Plex.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Hardware stipend
- Flextime, work from anywhere
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical/dental/vision) (US employees)
- Stock options
- 401k (US employees)
- Plex for the Planet community service opportunities
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
- At Plex, we get our people together at least twice a year to help forge connections and build deeper relationships all while having an awesome time. As such, Plex has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, subject to legally required disability or religious accommodations, for all in person events. Please note, these events are optional.
Does this sound interesting? We’re looking for an Backend Engineer (Ruby) who is ready to join us to have a material impact in Plex’s growth and success!
Plex is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.