Velir’s Data Activation practice is focused on turning client data into business value. To help us do that, Velir is looking for an Analytics Engineer who can help consult with our clients and deploy the modern data stack in transformative ways. Our clients span many industries from mission-driven non-profits to B2B software companies to consumer-focused e-commerce brands, but recent industry trends have created a consistent demand to capture, process, store, and report on first-party customer data. This data is then deployed to generate customer insights, predictive models, and often used to generate personalized customer experiences. The Analytics Engineer role will dive into our client’s needs, apply appropriate technologies such as DBT, Power BI, and Snowflake, and contribute towards a wider data-driven culture within our client’s organizations.
Our ideal candidate has experience with the modern data stack (ELT tools like Fivetran, cloud-based data warehouse tools like Snowflake, transformation tools like DBT, and reporting tools like Power BI), keeps up to date on emerging trends within the analytics engineering community, and can help explain technical concepts and trade-offs to business users. Our focus is on candidates who demonstrate strong consulting and data analyst skills. Accommodations can be made to provide on-the-job training for any specific tools.
Velir’s Data Activation team is small but growing, and this individual will have the opportunity to make an outsized impact in a team supported by a larger company. Velir offers a highly collaborate environment with on-site, hybrid, and remote working arrangements available. Our staff are capable, humble, inclusive, and supportive. Working at an agency like Velir is the best way to gain exposure to a wide array of clients, business domains, technologies, and solutions.
Why You Should Join
We strive to provide a sensible working environment that endorses healthy work hours, and we offer flexible remote work options. We have a progressive parental leave policy, offer paid volunteer days, and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
- Gather reporting requirements and design BI reports and dashboards based on those requirements. Common data sources include web analytics, CRM systems, email service providers, e-commerce platforms, customer data platforms, ad platforms, and social media listening tools among others.
- Apply dimensional modeling techniques to ensure that business processes are well-defined and can be easily reported on from within the warehouse. Define dimensional models within DBT.
- Consult with clients to generate requirements and specifications. Keep in mind non-functional requirements such as performance constraints, cost constraints, and security policies.
- Configure SaaS tools such as ELT providers, integration platforms, orchestration tools, and Customer Data Platforms (CDPs) to meet system requirements
- Assist in defining and deploying data governance activities such as data lineage tracking and data cataloging solutions.
- Stay on top of trends in the industry. Prototype and apply new methods and technologies as they become available.
- Maintain knowledge & documentation for how data solutions work.
- Stand-up cloud data infrastructure such as data warehouses and object storage. Handle high-level cloud database administration tasks such as issuing permission grants.
Skills & Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate and work with a cross-functional teams and client stakeholders. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required as well as good interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify roadblocks, communicate trade-offs, raise risks early, and provide leadership towards resolution
Must have experience with the following:
- Designing data solutions using at least some of the tools mentioned throughout this posting
- At least 1 major cloud provider’s data products (AWS, GCP, Azure) including at least 1 OLAP database product (Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, etc).
- At least 1 BI tool (Tableau, Power BI, Data Studio, Domo, Shiny, etc)
- Experience with the following is appreciated, but not required:
- Python or R
- Data orchestration tools (ex: Apache Airflow)
- Marketing technologies such as Customer Data Platforms (CDPs), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, and web analytics tools (Ex: Google Analytics).
Experience and Education
- BS in Software Engineering or another STEM field
- 5+ years working primarily on data systems
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Core Company Values
Velir is an established mid-sized agency with a top-tier portfolio of clients, ranging from the world’s largest non-profits to Fortune 500 brands. We pride ourselves on our people-first culture and a low-ego workplace that embraces experimentation, collaboration and continuous improvement. We offer flexible work locations, competitive pay, and excellent benefits.
- Take the Long View – Ensure the company is built to last
- Be Courageous – Make the right decisions even when they aren’t the easiest decisions
- Be Genuine – Bring honesty and authenticity to all that you do
- Work with Focus + Passion – Display purpose and pride in your work and never stop learning
At this time, Velir does not sponsor candidates and unfortunately cannot accept those on OPT or CPT.