About the job
Does the thought of working in a flexible environment where you will continually grow as the company grows excite you? Are you an experienced Ruby on Rails developer looking for an opportunity to work with a collaborative team and write meaningful code?
If you bursted out with “yes” then we would be excited to have you join our team of math nerd strategists, user flow obsessed designers, result-driven developers and epic storytelling marketers. We’re an entrepreneurial team that values doers, people who think outside the box, and are not afraid to experiment.
String and Key is a research and development studio that is building digital platforms that will change the way people manage and protect their money. The first business we built is Wyshbox, which is a whole new way to talk about and sell life insurance to a younger audience. Customers build their own personalized policies around their “Wyshes” — the things that they want to have happen, if anything happens to to them. From sending their kids to college to shooting their ashes into space – this isn’t your traditional insurance. It’s 100% online on the web, iOS, or android. No agents and no hassles.
- Deliver secure, thoughtfully designed backend code for our internal platform and related tools
- Work closely with frontend, mobile, and infrastructure/operations teams to support API services and platform deployment
- Triage and prepare fixes for software bugs and defects
- Create and maintain automated tests when writing or editing application code
- This is not a supervisory role, though senior-level hires are encouraged to participate in mentorship activities with less experienced members of the team.
- 5+ years of professional experience delivering business software
- Substantial experience with Ruby on Rails
- Strong understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity with event-driven application architecture
Tools and Buzzwords
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails / RSpec
- Apache Kafka
- Flextime Options
- Remote Work Options
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Paid Summer Fridays
- Paid Holidays
- Stocked Kitchen
- Quaterly Culture Club Events
- 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- Gym Reimbursement Stipend
- Transit / Parking Stipend
- Full Employee Medical Coverage
- 4% Match 401(k)
Exact compensation range is determined based on your region, years of experience, and specific skillset using aggregate market data from PayScale.
We are a tight knit, rapidly growing team who love what we do and take work-life balance and professional development as seriously as our products. If you are someone who takes ownership of your projects and thrives in a fast paced environment, let’s chat!
String and Key is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.