At Raken, Inc., we empower the people who build the world. Our goal is to transform the way the world builds by introducing technology to a 7,000 year old industry. To achieve this, we aim to attract unique, passionate people to the cause. We believe that faster, better reporting will improve the working lives of nearly 10% of the US labor force—the percentage of people currently working in construction. Helping turn the worst part of their day into the easiest (and fastest) is why we do what we do!
We are looking for a proven Principal Engineer (Backend/Full-stack) to join our startup that has the #1 app in one of the largest industries in the world.
Applicants should have an excellent background in data structures, design patterns, and modern programming practices with more than 7 years of Java experience, including API and Database development.
In addition to excellent technical skills, applicants should have experience in technical leadership. This role will include technical leadership duties including running a team and leading multiple projects at once.
Well qualified applicants should be able to demonstrate working knowledge of the latest libraries and programming techniques. Frontend development experience in React JS is desired, but not required.
Principal Engineer Responsibilities
- Write Java code for internal application development
- Fix bugs and provide support for business and maintenance teams
- Experience with AWS technologies, including Serverless, S3, Cloud Formation
- Write and execute unit tests using JUnit and other testing frameworks
- Create required documentation including high-level design documents
- Ownership of the implementation and delivery of roadmap initiatives
- Design large or road map initiatives and lead the implementation of those designs
- Communicate estimates, risks, and dependencies to project owners and technical leads
- Increase expertise in the areas of development related to the assigned projects
- Identify and address issues independently
- Refactor existing code base and improve overall quality of code
- Perform knowledge shares
- Participate in efforts to continuously improve development processes
- Work closely with back-end and ops teams to continually evolve, improve practices and processes, and drive the platform forward
- Lead and mentor other developers in your team, review performance, give feedback, and help them achieve their goals
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of proven programming experience in Java developing web applications
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree, or 8+ years development experience
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design and design patterns
- 5+ years of experience with RDBMS and SQL queries
- 5+ years of experience with JSON and related libraries and technologies
- 5+ years of experience with RESTful APIs
- 5+ years of experience with Spring framework
- 5+ years of experience with Hibernate / JPA
- 5+ years of experience using source control systems (Git)
- 5+ years of experience utilizing JUnit and other testing frameworks
- Passionate about writing high quality and well-architected code
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering consumer-facing web-based solutions
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- Positive attitude with a constructive approach to challenges and respect for colleagues
Why Join Raken?
- Raken, Inc. is a rapidly growing startup based in Carlsbad, California.
- We were recognized on the Forbes 2020 list of America’s Best Startup Employers and are ranked no. 1057 on the Inc. 5000 List of Fastest Growing U.S. Companies
- We offer very competitive benefits including health, dental and vision with generous employer contributions for employees and their dependents
- FSA/HSA options
- 401k match
- Unlimited PTO
- We are dedicated to the growth and development of our employees and have programs in place to support these initiatives
- Our Culture is Top Priority – We have a hardworking team that loves to make a significant positive impact and have fun while doing it. Core values we live by: Take Ownership, Elevate Others, Keep Evolving, Stay Balanced, Let’s Go! For more information go to: https://www.rakenapp.com/blog/raken-department-spotlight-engineering
Raken, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Raken does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.