What We’re Looking For
We are looking for a software engineer with experience in agile techniques like breaking down tasks into like-sized parts and pair programming.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner and about software craftsmanship. You have experience in, and passion for, high-quality, maintainable code that confers low operating costs, high change velocity and is a point of professional pride for you and the team.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Writing maintainable high-performance code
- Refactoring to keep code maintainable
- Conducting exploratory and automated testing
- Debugging complex problems under time constraints
- Leading technical design of applications and participating in larger system design efforts
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to other team-members
- Deploying your own code to production through CI/CD
- Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
- Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
- Advocating for end user needs in software you are building
- Collaborating with Product team (product managers, business analysts, and UX designers) to define and refine requirements
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 4 years+ experience and expertise in most of the following technologies:
- Release management tools like Docker, Kubernetes and Buildkite
- Automated testing frameworks
- Relational Databases
- Web servers like Nginx
- AWS products like Lambda, RDS, Kinesis, Cloudfront, SNS, and SQS
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Participating in application and system level technical design
- Conducting technical interviews
- Participating in planning staffing needs on your team
- Using metrics to drive software development decisions
This role reports to the Director of Engineering for the Marketing Systems TechDev Team.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.