We’re on a mission to make programming more accessible by building the best, simplest, and fastest coding environment. Replit is a place to not only learn and practice programming but also to collaborate and ship applications.
Note that the listed qualifications are mere approximations. If you’re talented but don’t really fit the requirements, please get in touch anyways.
Position: General Counsel
At Replit, we want to build a powerful, yet simple platform where anyone, anywhere, regardless of their background and access to expensive computers, can create and share websites, apps, software tools, and build businesses. Making programming simpler and more accessible will open up the internet economy to more people around the world.
Replit has products for people learning to code, schools and teachers, hobbyist programmers, and professional engineers at startups and large corporations. Replit is also building a platform for coders to share and distribute their apps, tools, and websites easily over the internet. You can think of Replit like YouTube for software + a powerful multiplayer coding editor + domain-specific tools for schools and businesses. And just like YouTube when we dramatically reduce the cost and increase the simplicity of sharing creations and reach people all around the world, there are complex legal, compliance, and policy needs.
Potential Roles & Responsibilities
* Build Replit’s legal function & act as the company’s legal representative
* Advise the leadership team on legal matters
* Communicate with external counsel
* Proactively comply with relevant laws & regulations (GDPR, CCPA, FERPA, COPPA, SOC 2, etc.)
* Craft & review strategy in response to any litigation
* Maintain legal documents and operations
* Establish Trust & Safety and content moderation policies on Replit (DMCA, phishing, abusive/obscene content, etc.)
* Manage intellectual property filings
* Manage sales contracting & privacy agreement process
* Work with engineering, security, product, support, and sales to build scalable processes
* Support evolving needs over time
* Prior experience in a legal role at a high-growth startup
* Law degree
* Systems thinking
* Can maintain your cool in a crisis
* Experience at a social or creator economy business
* Experience at a developer tools company
* Know how to and enjoy coding
* Passion for education and making programming more accessible
Global (overlap 4 hours with US Pacific Time), San Francisco preferred
Ready to build the next big internet business and transform how people code?