What We Need
We need a developer with good foundational knowledge to join our diverse and talented front-end team, and help us build forward-thinking web solutions that are fast, WCAG accessible, user-friendly, and beautiful (both on the surface and under the hood). Your work at Velir could help our clients improve global health, drive changes in policing, promote the health and well-being of children, and more. In short, your code has a chance to really mean something.
Why You Should Join
In joining the Velir front end team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated development group. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that endorses healthy work hours, and we offer flexible remote work options. We have a progressive parental leave policy, offer paid volunteer days, and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
What You’ll Get To Do
In this position, you’ll get to:
- Work with modern web frameworks (React, Vue.js, and others) and advanced CSS to create websites, components, APIs, and animations
- Engage with your front-end teammates, by actively contributing to Slack channels, asking questions, sharing ideas, and reviewing code
- Collaborate with teams across Velir (from design to backend), to create great websites for our clients
- Create documentation for your projects, to make life easier for other developers (or maybe future you!)
- Seek out and evaluate new front-end web development trends and technologies, looking for opportunities to improve the way we work
- Apply and expand your knowledge of accessibility, performance, security, and scalability
Skills & Qualifications
What You Bring to the Table
- Deep knowledge in HTML5 and CSS3, so your foundations are strong
- Empathy, to collaborate with your teammates, and to ensure all people can use our websites (WCAG accessibility knowledge is a big plus)
- Courage, to speak up about roadblocks and raise risks
- Curiosity about — and enthusiasm for — the front-end field. Agency work moves fast, and the ability to pick new technologies up quickly will be key!
- Good communication skills, to keep your teammates informed, and explain technical concepts effectively
What We Use
As our clients have many different needs, we use many tools, frameworks, and platforms. This is not a hard list of requirements, but instead a peek into what our developers might be working with on any given project:
- React Hooks, Vue.js, Angular
- SCSS, Gulp, Webpack, node/npm, Git, Jenkins
- Sitecore, AEM, Drupal, Contentful, Gatsby, Next.js, JSS
- Storybook, PatternLab, data visualizations with tools like D3, web animation, web performance
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Core Company Values
Velir is an established mid-sized agency with a top-tier portfolio of clients, ranging from the world’s largest non-profits to Fortune 500 brands. We pride ourselves on our people-first culture and a low-ego workplace that embraces experimentation, collaboration and continuous improvement. We offer flexible work locations, competitive pay, and excellent benefits.
- Take the Long View – Ensure the company is built to last
- Be Courageous – Make the right decisions even when they aren’t the easiest decisions
- Be Genuine – Bring honesty and authenticity to all that you do
- Work with Focus + Passion – Display purpose and pride in your work and never stop learning
At this time, Velir does not sponsor candidates and unfortunately cannot accept those on OPT or CPT.