Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company – by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
We are seeking a Financial Controller to lead our accounting and tax efforts. This role will provide the right candidate the opportunity to provide organizational guidance as we build financial complexities into our growing business model.
What you’ll do
- Electricity accounting – manage the accounting process for multiple entities and cross-border transactions. Manage the market-to-market requirements of hedge products.
- Financial reporting – deliver on-time and high-quality GAAP financial statement preparation and other disclosures.
- Taxes – manage the preparation of compliant and timely reporting/filing of all applicable local, state, and federal tax obligations.
- Internal controls – coordinate internal controls & procedures with the Company’s external control auditors.
- Accounting policy – guide the organization through technical accounting issues as required; understand and implement new accounting requirements as needed.
What you’ll need
- Extensive experience in electricity or commodity industry
- Hands on experience with accounting matters (e.g. revenue and JIB)
- A track record of simplification and standardization
- An understanding of accounting excellence and how accounting adds value
- Successful at training and coaching team members and leading change
- Previous experience coordinating across corporate functions, especially land
- Maintaining an honest and ethical tone-from-the-top
- Desire to advance cheaper and greener electricity
Nice to have’s
- GAAP to IFRS translation experience
- History of working with decentralized organizations
- Understanding of accounting requirements for software businesses
- Transfer tax and inter company loan experience
Why else you’ll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Unlimited paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.