Hi, we’re CompanyCam.
We create simple-to-use, visual-first communication and accountability tools for contractors. Imagine a B2B SaaS (business-to-business software-as-a-service) app that doesn’t look like garbage, built by a team of capable, laid-back people.
But don’t let the chill throw you off; we’re a fast-growing, product-led startup with big plans for the future.
We’re looking for a sharp, self-motivated, problem-solving Engineering Manager to come on board and lead software engineers.
You’ll join a group of 4-8 software engineers, a product manager, and a designer to tackle everything from huge company initiatives to modest but important bug fixes, from start to finish, in an area of the product. Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Managing the software engineers in your group, including coaching and career development.
- Ensuring the successful execution of your group’s projects.
- Working alongside your group’s product manager to make sure projects build value, drive real results for our customers, and ship on time.
- Helping our Engineering Department hire and retain amazing engineers.
- Optimizing our developer experience.
- Actively contributing to the evolution of the culture and processes for a growing engineering team.
Working At CompanyCam
Our engineering team is remote-first, spanning every time zone in the United States. We welcome people from all backgrounds and really don’t care whether or not you have a CS degree or even a high school diploma. All that matters is that you’re not an a**hole and you’re good at what you do.
Our Product and Engineering departments also do things a little differently.
We use a customized version of Basecamp’s Shape Up method (fused with empowered product teams a la Marty Cagan’s Inspired) to organize and execute our work. That means your group will work in 3 or 6-week cycles. During cycles, engineers spend most of their time implementing product improvements, but they also work with their group shaping (generating and vetting) product improvements for future cycles. After each cycle, groups will stop, reset, and choose to tackle another cycle or take a 1-3 week cool-down (a period of undirected work where they pursue educational opportunities, work on pet projects, or smash some bugs that have been nagging at them). Rinse and repeat until code nirvana.
Sounds nice, right? No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our engineers’ time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done. We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours of focused, quality work and then TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We cover the important stuff too. We pay well, offer unlimited vacation, meaningful equity, health insurance, and other benefits. This is a salaried position at CompanyCam. Our salary range is $170,000 – $185,000 and is based on experience.
What We Ask Of You
These are our non-negotiables:
- Show up: give us your best and have the courage to do difficult but necessary stuff.
- Grow up: you’re OK working in an environment full of change. You take responsibility, love ownership, learn continuously, and have a growth mindset.
- Do good: treat your co-workers and customers the way you want to be treated.
- Senior-level experience with and knowledge of React, React Native OR Ruby on Rails.
- Experience working as a professional senior software engineer.
- 2 or more years experience managing people in a team context.
- Experience recruiting, interviewing, and hiring software engineers.
- Reside permanently and currently somewhere in the U.S. Alas, we’re not set up to hire outside of the U.S.
These are not requirements, but you’d get bonus points:
- Experience with or knowledge of Shape Up (we don’t run this process in its pure form, but it is the basis of our process).
- Experience helping Engineering departments scale.
Ready to apply?
If you share our passion for serving our customers and bringing truth and transparency to the contracting industry, we’d love to review your application! Are you reading this and wondering if you meet every requirement? Studies show that workplace minorities, such as women and people of color, are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single requirement. At CompanyCam, we pride ourselves on celebrating everyone. We are actively working on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive. If you’re interested in applying, do it! Even if your experiences don’t directly line up or you are ‘missing that one thing’. We are excited to read your application!
For any needed accommodations during the hiring process, please email email@example.com.
This position can be U.S. Remote or in our Lincoln office. At least one year of remote experience is required if you plan on working remotely. We are not accepting applicants outside the U.S. at this time.