Who we are…
Pearl Health is restoring the independence and joy of practicing medicine for doctors in America. Our healthcare system has burdened our doctors with too much process, while removing them from what they do best: caring for those we love most. We launched Pearl Health because we believe primary care providers, armed with the proper tools and resources, can have an outsized impact in achieving high-quality, affordable healthcare. We foresee a shift to an increasingly value-based future where physicians and provider groups will participate in the value they create for the healthcare system and will increasingly require proper tooling, information systems, capital support, and technology to succeed in these models.
We are a team of physicians (Groups), practice-enablement experts (VillageMD, Steward, Stellar), technologists (athenahealth, TrialSpark, Flatiron Health) and health plan leaders (Oscar, Clover, Centivo) who believe that primary care providers (PCPs) are the key to America’s future health. Today, we support over 100 providers in value-based Medicare models and are on track to substantially increase the Medicare population we will be responsible for managing with our physician partners for 2023 (+$300M of Medicare benchmark risk). Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz and AlleyCorp.
What we hope you can do…
We are seeking a brilliant Data Scientist with a track record of propelling business strategies through analytical insights and algorithmic systems. Your work will be a core asset of our company, allowing us to more efficiently provide better care to our members and to create novel financial arrangements for each of our aligned physicians. You should be a strategic and analytical thinker, an effective communicator, an expert in analytical and data infrastructure systems, comfortable working with actuaries on complicated risk analyses, and performing sophisticated modeling exercises independently. We anticipate that AI, ML, and NLP will be central elements of our product, so you should have a deep familiarity with and passion for these technologies.
What a Data Scientist means to us…
- Translate the company’s goals and vision into its strategy and operations by conducting sophisticated quantitative analyses while informing decisions about our infrastructure and approach
- Help us change the future of work for doctors in America by applying state of the art technology solutions, including machine learning, natural language processing, and explicable AI – likely in partnership with key external partners.
- Experience developing and deploying sophisticated algorithmic approaches to prioritizing patient care in a clinical setting (or comparably sophisticated spaces).
- Support all business lines, including sales and business development, by enabling those teams to nimbly make data-driven decisions, balancing competing goals, and making difficult trade-offs when required.
- Partner effectively with our Chief Product Officer and Chief Technology Officer toward best-in-class analytics systems to give our physician partners insight into their patient panels.
- Support the technology needs of various departments by creating a data-literate ecosystem.
Who you are…
- 4-7 years of experience in performing results-driven quantitative analysis in a collaborative environment.
- Degree in statistics, applied math, computer science, engineering or a related field.
- SQL expertise and strong foundation in at least one of the main data science programming languages. Python is our current primary language and is preferred.
- A proven ability to conduct research and empower data-driven aspects of our product through a mix of internal resources and external vendors, especially in AI, ML and NLP domains.
- Experience collaborating with data engineering teams to define needs for an ETL pipeline and familiarity with the most common ETL tools.
- Thoughtful collaborator, able to manage multiple demanding stakeholders, assimilate complex information quickly, and scope work in a way that balances deep insight and fast turnaround.
- Prior experience working with healthcare data in any part of the industry (payor, provider, pharmacy, etc.); familiarity with population health data is preferred but not essential
The First 90 Days….
We aren’t the over-prescriptive types but to give you a sense of what we think we’ll do in your first 3 months together:
First 30 Days: Get your hands dirty really understanding the universe of doctors we will be partnering with in our first year in the Direct Contracting model. Help us profile risk, identify opportunities for performance improvement, and lay the foundation for the work we will do in the year ahead. Take a crash course in the still new DCE model to ensure Pearl’s continued leadership in understanding and explaining its value.
First 60 Days: Navigate the crucial launch window for the 2022 Performance Year where we will receive our first batch of data from our DCE partners and begin providing our service to our doctors. Become a subject matter expert on our datasets and define the measures we will use to guide our work throughout the performance year.
First 90 Days: Own the ongoing performance analysis and improvement process as we do both bespoke work with our practices and productize insights into the platform. Dig deep on the opportunities for growth within our existing universe of doctors and potential acquisitions for Performance Year 2.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds, who share a passion for improving people’s lives. Our definition of diversity not only includes race and gender identity, but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion and many other parts of one’s identity. We believe all of our colleague’s points of view are integral to our success, and that inclusion is everyone’s responsibility and a cause of beautiful things.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and are committed to a fair hiring process free from discrimination and focused around problem solving, improvement, and mutual empowerment.
We are a remote-first company, largely congregated on the East Coast, with concentrations of team members at our NYC headquarters and in the Boston area. While the world is in lockdown, we’re all working remotely, but hope to facilitate more in-person time as the Covid situation improves. We expect a large part of our workforce to be remote after the pandemic ends.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected base pay range for this position is between $110,000 and $185,000 per year. Base pay is one component of Pearl’s total compensation package, which also includes access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, possible equity options, and much more. Please visit our benefits page for more information: https://pearlhealth.com/our-benefits/