Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company – by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
At Octopus, we’ve built the technology to serve millions of customers. We’re now looking to develop our reporting and dashboards, and provide analysis and key insights to inform the business in its ambitious growth.
We’re looking for a mid-level to senior Data Analyst to support the core commercial functions, in effectively running an efficient supply business and providing excellent customer experience. In this role, you will help us collate, visualize and analyze a variety of data, and maintain and build our automated data processes.
What you’ll do
- Your focus will be on analytics, blending a data analyst role with an analytics engineer: you’ll work across the whole data lifecycle to bring insights to teams such as operations, sales, and marketing.
- Work with the leadership team and other functions to understand priorities and data requirements, and scope new data projects and products
- Lead the building & maintenance of new data tools including data apps, BI dashboards, reports and automation pipelines
- Lead one-off analyses and deep dives, and present actionable findings
- Recruit, develop and mentor team members
- Work closely with other parts of the data science and data platform team and be an active contributor and leader in the global Octopus data community
- Advocate for a culture of transparency, trust, reliability and reproducibility in data
What kind of areas you’ll be working on
- You’ll be responsible for reporting and analytics across the whole customer experience and supply business including:
- Financial reporting, debt and billing
- Acquisitions, sales and marketing
- Operations: customer contact, feedback and team productivity
- Risk management, procurement and pricing
- Regulatory reporting
What technology you’ll be working with:
- In this role you’ll be building tools on top of our data platform with the support of our exceptional international data platform team. The core technologies that make up the platform are:
- Jupyter, Python, pandas and data science stack for analysis
- Postgres as primary storage for most of our back end applications
- Tableau and Streamlit for BI dashboards and data apps
- AWS as our cloud provider
- Databricks Delta Lake as our data lake and cloud data warehouse
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Spark for data processing
- dbt for data modelling
- Presto and SparkSQL for analytics
- Kubernetes, Git, Circle CI, Prometheus, Grafana and Terraform for infrastructure, version control, continuous deployment and monitoring
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is curious and self-driven, who can take the initiative to search for answers themselves
- Is capable of working in a fast moving unstructured environment, who can quickly assess and challenge what’s needed, prioritize tasks and deliver solutions
- Is passionate about applying data and analytics to solve problems and automate tasks
- Has a strong technical skill set and experience in technologies listed above, to contribute individually, as well as lead
- Brings a proven record of managing teams of data analysts to deliver great tools and tangible outcomes
- Can inspire, train and lead the people around them
- Has experience in customer experience and/or energy retail (this is a bonus but not a hard requirement, we will consider candidates from other sectors)
- Is passionate about contributing to the energy transition, and being part of a company that is manically focused on helping our customers and society reach Net Zero
Why else you’ll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Unlimited paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it’s something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don’t advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn’t apply to Octopus – what’s more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.