Weedmaps is the leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for a Commercial Counsel to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll focus your efforts on a wide array of commercial matters, including being the lead attorney on technology and marketing transactions and providing guidance on new product lines and corporate transactions. You’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The Impact You’ll Make:
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements (with a focus on SaaS licensing and marketing agreements) with our vendors, partners, and customers.
- Create and improve processes, agreements, document templates, and policies.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company and product team regarding new product offerings and functionalities in light of rapidly changing applicable laws.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans to resolve problematic issues.
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues affecting the Company’s businesses, translating complex laws and regulations into practical advice and solutions.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company on all matters relating to data privacy and security, including data of users, consumers, employees, and third parties, the negotiation and drafting of data privacy agreements, data privacy requirements for websites, social media, apps, connected products, e-commerce, customer relationship management, and the Company’s various products and services, and all laws relating to data privacy and security in the multiple jurisdictions in which the Company operates, including the US, Canada, and the EU.
What you’ve accomplished:
- Minimum of 3+ years of mergers and acquisitions experience working at or advising technology companies.
- Knowledge of global privacy and consumer protection laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for ad tech and Internet companies.
- Experience advising product teams in a technology company.
- Experience advising clients in heavily regulated industries.
Your Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet the needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting, and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and internal attorneys, paralegals, business associates, and other team members.
- Passion for startup-like environments and technology.
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 5+ years of commercial transactions experience (in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Experience being the lead drafter and negotiator of complex technology transactions with minimal oversight.
Our 2022 Benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee – employer-paid premium 100%
- Dependent – employer-paid premium 80%
- HMO – Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA – Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D – employer-paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- BenefitEd (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings), including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit, and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office
- Casual work environment, no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with fellow Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights, and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: email@example.com
- INCORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
If you are unsure if a communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com, and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance; we appreciate your interest in working with us!