Almanac is building an operating system for distributed collaboration to help remote teams get work done without needless meetings and distracting messages.
Almanac’s collaborative doc editor helps distributed and hybrid teams cut Slack, email, and meetings by 80%—so you can reclaim a full day each week to focus on what matters.
Hundreds of teams from 2 to 2000 are already using Almanac to collaborate on docs, organize documentation, and streamline processes as they scale.
That’s where you come in: we’re looking a Chief of Staff to be the the right-hand person and force-multiplier to Almanac’s CEO, Adam Nathan, and help us scale our team and product to millions of new users.
About the role
We’re looking for an exceptional individual to serve as a trusted advisor and confidant to Almanac’s Chief Executive Officer. The Chief of Staff will work closely with the CEO to create leverage and impact through managing key priorities, overseeing internal operations, and spearheading special projects. This is a unique opportunity to see every aspect of a fast-growing startup at the CEO level.
- Manage Almanac’s business performance, including setting quantitative goals, collecting and analyzing data, and taking measures to to ensure we hit our goals
- Oversee Management Team operations, including developing strategies and action plans for key priorities and ensuring all action items are completed
- Help build out Almanac’s handbook to enable async operations, spread our company brand, and recruit candidates for Almanac’s growing team
- Draft investor updates, pitch decks, speeches, conference submissions, and presentations on behalf of the CEO
- Spearhead special projects, such as launching a new growth channel, managing a product launch, improving an internal process, or leading the search for a key hire
Experiences that make you stand out:
- 3+ years experience in either a business or operations function at a significant high-growth startup, a management consulting firm, or a venture capital firm
- 2+ years managing a complex business operation with demanding performance goals
- Tenure managing financial and operational models, including making assumptions in ambiguous contexts and gathering and cleaning data to derive insights
- Expertise in building and presenting presentations and writing memos and proposals
- Proven ability to quickly master new skills and solve incredibly complex problems
- An MBA is a huge plus!
Skills that make you extraordinary:
- You love organizational design and behavior: Almanac’s mission to build collaborative infrastructure for the digital economy sounds like a dream job to you.
- You’re a natural systems thinker: you spend your free time pondering how and why things work, and you default to heuristics or frameworks to make decisions
- You’re regarded as a business management all-star: you can write well, build complex models, and manage and move people towards goals
- You’re an exceptional communicator, especially in your writing
- You have a natural ownership bias: you take responsibility even when you’re not asked
- You’re detail-oriented in your execution: you never let formatting or spelling mistakes slip through in your work, however small the task
- You have extremely high bandwidth: you can confidently manage projects and communicate updates under pressure or ambiguity with a smile
- You’re a savant at using influence and process to convince and motivate senior leaders
- You’re entrepreneurial and may want to start your own business one day
At Almanac, we’re looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We’d love for you apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your experience, skills, and interests will help you stand out—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Almanac, we welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. Join us.
At Almanac, we:
- Are fundamental optimists who believe we’re still only at the start of the digital age.
- Go to extraordinary lengths to distinguish ourselves through world-class work.
- Prioritize quality over speed, and speed over scope.
- Desire working with deeply kind, mission-driven people.
- Strive to make the complex simple.
- Use first principles to debate ideas, test assumptions, and make decisions.
- Seek the truth by putting data above opinions.
- Assume good intent and give tactical feedback to help each other get better.
- Hold no ego—when our customers win, we all win.
As a company, we are seriously committed to your professional development and growth:
- You will set your own monthly goals aligned with our ambitious strategy
- You will have our collective support in achieving major wins—and personal coaching from your manager
- You will be able to request and manage your own budget
- You will be encouraged to take risks, try new things, and be creative with your work
- You will have many opportunities to exchange and engage in feedback
- You will be offered continual chances to stretch yourself and raise your own bar
- Helping a small company grow 30%+ month-over-month
- You will be rewarded for achieving excellence and mastery
Interviewing at Almanac
It’s our goal to provide an efficient, transparent interview experience that respects you and your time. Our roles typically have a four stage process (sometimes more) and we like to move through those as quickly as calendars allow. After submitting your application you will hear from us whether you are a strong fit for the role or not! From here you can expect:
- An initial screen with our recruiter
- The opportunity to meet the hiring manager, our CEO Adam
- More conversations with the rest of our Executive team, including Alice, our Head of Brand, and Eddie, our Head of Product and Growth
- A short, 1-2 hour exercise appropriate to the CoS role
- As a last step, meet-and-greet chats with growth marketers and PMs with whom you’d be collaborating with
Your time is valuable, so we try to give you as much information as possible throughout our process to make the best decision for you. To start, here’s our open source company handbook, which contains docs about our vision, our virtues, our compensation philosophy, and our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Chief of Staff? Then we’d love to hear about you!