Quick Take: Axios is dedicated to providing trustworthy news in an audience-first format. We are hiring one Associate Audience Editor and one Senior Associate Audience Editor to join the Audience team.
Why it Matters: You will be directly responsible for how Axios reaches readers across our distributed platforms and on Axios.com. You’ll contribute to our goals to introduce readers to Smart Brevity (our formatted approach to news), our overall Axios core brand and two major initiatives, Axios Local and Axios Pro. You’ll be a leader in top-of-funnel growth for Axios.com.
- Your work will cover a broad scope, so audience generalists who’ve worked in newsrooms are well-suited to apply. But these roles are also set up to complement our existing team, so specialists looking to hone skills in social media, SEO, and/or analytics will also make successful candidates.
Go Deeper: We are looking for audience-first journalists who are obsessed with how to connect the highest quality journalism with news-interested readers. Consider applying if you meet most of the requirements below:
- Understanding and fluency in many of the major distribution channels for news including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google, Snap, YouTube, Flipboard, Reddit, Apple News, TikTok, and more
- Understanding of how data and analytics can be used to ask relevant editorial questions that drive toward new best practices. Proficiency in using analytics tools such as Google or Adobe Analytics, dashboarding and data-visualization tools such as Looker.
- Outstanding communication with a wide variety of stakeholders including journalists, product managers, and business-side colleagues.
- A finger on the pulse of the news cycle, competitive news landscape, and an instinct of how best to serve readers.
- Rigorous and close reading of news with an eye for errors and details. Excellent editorial judgment and experience with editorial planning for big news events.
- Ability to write crisp, accurate copy and find creative ways to break through the noise.
- A sharp eye for what stories are best told visually and skills to help reinterpret stories for visual-first platforms in video, graphics, or photography. Adept at using Photoshop, Figma, Adobe Premiere Pro, or similar software.
- Ability to work independently during non-traditional hours. Some evening and weekend work is expected in these roles. We are a shift-based team, but news cycles can disrupt even the best plans.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission to deliver smart, efficient news worthy of our readers’ attention and trust.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.