The big picture: Axios, a fast-growing media company, is looking for an Associate Product Manager.
The details: This is an excellent growth role. Some experience in a software development environment is required, but this can be an excellent role for someone wanting to transition into product management from another tangential role.
Why it matters: As an Associate Product Manager, this person will support and collaborate with engineers, analysts, journalists, business partners, and other Product Managers to drive forward initiatives that deliver on Axios’ mission.
What we’re all about: We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. We believe that inclusion drives true innovation, and a best-in-class experience for our readers and team members alike. We are intently focused on building a user-centric, editorially rich organization with an innovative and collaborative work culture contributing to the future of news.
The ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial spirit, be highly collaborative, exhibit a passion for building technology products, and have the following qualifications:
- 2+ years working within a software development organization
- Understanding of agile software development practices
- Familiarity in writing product specifications/tickets in Jira, or similar ticket-tracking tool
- An analytical approach to see the signal from the noise, ask the right questions, and know what’s important
- Experience working with analytics, performance, and/or reporting tools
- Preferred experience with functional testing, writing, and prioritization of bugs
- An appreciation of great UX and a user-first mentality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and the discipline to dig beyond the surface layer of anything
- Understanding of programming (any language), caching, and how websites work
- Managing product backlogs and maintaining product roadmaps that align with company objectives and goals, under the direction of more senior product managers
- Ensuring all tickets and designs are fully defined and ready for engineering in advance of the appropriate grooming or planning sessions
- Being keenly aware of key performance metrics, reporting needs, business goals, and timelines
- Tracking and responding to user feedback and Axios support emails
- Functional testing and the ability to troubleshoot issues
- Collaborating with designers and engineers to translate features into appropriate user stories and acceptance criteria
- Providing stakeholders with regular updates and occasionally represent the squad at stakeholder meetings
What we like about you:
- You love our users. You’re always seeking to gain a deeper understanding of their needs so you can come up with new ways to serve and delight them.
- Your integrity is inspiring. You know at your core what’s the right thing to do, and you’re the first to express when you see something that’s not.
- You’re curious and inquisitive. To the benefit of everyone, you challenge yourself to learn about different perspectives that help you grow, learn, and develop expertise.
- You’re receptive. You don’t assume that no news is good news and welcome constructive feedback and reflection.
- You challenge yourself. In a supportive environment, you’re not afraid to engage in discussions that invite different perspectives – in fact they help you learn and develop expertise.
- You’re exacting, yet flexible. Prepared, precise, and proactive could be how your colleagues describe you, but never dogmatic, rigid, nor stubborn.
- You’re an advocate. You build long-term relationships of accountability and are responsive to the experiences, voices and perspectives of all people.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.