Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking an Associate Director, Partnerships in the Social Safety Net portfolio, to support the Director of Strategic Partnerships in executing on a growth strategy for the Social Safety Net portfolio. This role will cultivate and maintain partnerships with federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as civic technology partners and allied policy and advocacy organizations, all in service of achieving Code for America’s programmatic and organizational objectives.
About the Role:
We are seeking an Associate Director, Safety Net Partnerships to support the Director of Strategic Partnerships in executing on the Social Safety Net portfolio growth strategy. The Associate Director should have sufficient background in social safety net programs and technical facilities with digital services to be a credible partner, along with an understanding of the on-the-ground realities of accessing safety net services. This background may include the delivery and outcomes of services and programs including WIC, SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF. The Associate Director, Safety Net Partnerships will collaborate with Code for America’s cross-functional Program, Engineering, Product, and Design teams to facilitate alignment with external partners, government agencies, and policy and advocacy organizations.
The Associate Director, Safety Net Partnerships should be skilled at cultivating government partnerships, managing multiple deadlines and stakeholders, and facilitating alignment with cross-functional technology teams and other stakeholders. You should be a strategic thinker who is able to manage details with a consistent bias towards action and impact. You should be comfortable independently setting ambitious goals and working towards deadlines. You are motivated to help the Social Safety Net team make progress on our ambitious impact goals and portfolio mission, and will proactively pursue key government partnerships to enable our impact.
You will structure partnership engagement strategies, proposals, documents, and information in an organized way. You will build and maintain long-term strategic relationships with key government partnership agencies to build our brand and enhance our credibility. You listen deeply to understand our government partners’ needs, pain points, and goals, and work closely with the team to develop partnership strategies that leverage Code for America’s unique capabilities to solve pressing social issues. You will communicate the impact of potential partnerships to Code for America’s cross-functional stakeholders, building buy-in and gathering subject matter input. You will use this input to refine our partnership strategy as well as our existing operational processes, and can retain an organized, transparent partnership tracking system.
The ideal candidate will bring knowledge of social safety net policy and the civic technology ecosystem, and have experience in business development, partnership strategy and/or government capture roles.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, the Associate Director, Safety Net Partnerships is a new position with close working relationships with the Social Safety Net leadership team. The role will add capacity to the Social Safety Net’s ability to execute on an ambitious, multi-year growth strategy. This role may be remote or based in San Francisco, and includes travel up to 25% of time.
In this position you will:
- Support, develop and grow external partnerships that advance the Social Safety Net Portfolio strategy, and enable our cross-functional teams to deliver high-value products, people-centered outcomes, and lasting impact in social safety net services.
- Develop, maintain and grow relationships within Federal and State agencies to strengthen Code for America’s reputation as a trusted partner in safety net delivery.
- Develop, maintain and grow existing relationships with policy, research and community organizations to strengthen Code for America’s collaborative strategic partnerships.
- With the Development team and Programs team, prepare pitches, proposals and contract agreements for partnerships that can open up meaningful partnerships, as funded by both philanthropy and government grants and contracts
- Drive superb execution, anticipating staffing needs, risks, and the need for frequent and clear communication internally and with stakeholders.
- Communicates the voice of government partners internally and in product decision making, and be fluent in communicating product strategy and priorities to government partners.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge of the CRM databases and track partnerships and key account relationships in the system, as well as suggest opportunities to improve our internal CRM systems
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Department to position our brand, build demand for our services, and build marketing materials that communicate our capabilities to external audiences
- Build and maintain partnership cultivation work plans to ensure we can meet our ambitious Safety Net impact goals.
- Collaborate with the Programs team to engage and broaden learning for future work.
The position is a perfect fit if you are strategic, entrepreneurial, and interested in helping us expand our reach and impact by executing on a government partnership strategy. This involves collaborating with multiple teams across Code for America to focus our efforts as needed based on market feedback. You ideally have:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, including at minimum three years of government partnership development experience
- At least 3 years as a people manager with a track record of leading teams to execution, ideally cross-discipline teams (such as product, research, or engineering).
- Proven track record of cross-sector stakeholder engagement (public, nonprofit, private), ideally including data usage, policy, and business process implementation.
- Politically astute and able to find common ground and build relationships across political differences, especially within a government environment.
- Strong understanding of government service delivery, partnership, contract, and procurement mechanisms.
- A compelling communicator with a can-do attitude, who is able to clearly explain concerns, reasoning, and decisions to internal teams and external partners.
- Thrives in a fast paced environment, gravitates towards continuous change, and happy to change their mind based on new information or constructive criticism.
- Demonstrably strong business writing and document production skills, including partnership and grant proposals, pitch decks, and memos.
- Strong process and project execution skills including program or project scoping and a commitment to responsive follow-through.
- Natural collaborator who values honesty and openness, builds relationships, seeks input, does not shy away from conflict, and facilitates decision-making.
- Able to prioritize a direction, follow through, and make corrections to stay on track.
- Organized and comfortable working with complex sets of information, timelines, and forecasts
- Proficiency in G-Suite, Salesforce/Hubspot and CRM systems, Excel and budgeting tools
- Passion for the Code for America mission and vision for digital service delivery, and strong and persuasive values for the role of user-centered technology in government
- Willingness to travel up to 25% time and employ effective strategies for working remotely.
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience working with safety net, criminal justice, and tax federal, state, and local government agencies
- Experience with WIC, SNAP or Medicaid business process or technology
- Lived experience with the government program areas on which Code for America focuses
- Experience with government technology procurement
- Experience working with a social impact-focused product team
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from ($108,503 – $132,825).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.