Over the last 10 years, Ellevation Education has built a thriving business serving the administrators, teachers, and specialists who support English Learners at public schools across the US. Today, over 1,000 school districts use our software to manage their EL programs and drive instructional impact in their district. We are a successful, rapidly growing business with a real mission — helping English Learners achieve their highest aspirations.
We are growing our Product Design organization and looking for an experienced, hands-on Product Design Manager to lead the team and help build amazing product experiences.
At Ellevation, Product Designers are responsible for working cross-functionally in agile teams composed of Product Managers and Engineers. Product Designers conduct end-to-end user research, participate in strategy development, and create artifacts and iterative prototypes that generate opportunities for learning and inform delivery.
In this role as the Manager of the Product Design team, you will be responsible for the overall user experience across our suite of products. You will also own the growth and adoption of Backpack — our Design System — across teams.
This is a hands-on role. As a “player” you will advocate for the user, coordinate experiments, validate hypotheses, share learnings, and shape strategy. As a “coach” you are a leader and a teacher: you work closely with your direct reports to advise and guide them on their work and career paths.
- 1 month – Build a clear picture of the key business challenges and strategic contexts across our suite of three products. Develop understanding of users and design paradigms. Build relationships with Product Design team, key collaborators, and stakeholders.
- 3 months – Apply learnings to begin to solve challenges through Product Design. Build design culture through coaching and feedback. Evolve the Backpack Design System to offer more tools to solve business problems. Take on direct reports as people leader.
- 6 months – Steward overall direction of Product Design through work as an individual and coaching the team. Build strong design culture internally. Work with VP of Product to drive recruitment.
- 12 months – Expand the overall capacity of the Product Design team to contribute to solving problems that drives value for our customers and the business.
Product & Design Culture
- We are organized into small product teams that focus on key problems to solve in the context of their specific domain. We focus on outcomes over output. Our teams are empowered to research, prototype, and solicit user feedback to validate hypotheses. We engage users early and rapidly iterate so that the end result is a high-confidence, high-value product. We aim to foster an environment where we have the runway to experiment and learn from failure while tackling tricky challenges.
- Our teams are cross-functional in that they are made up of members of Product (Product Manager, Product Designer) and members of Engineering (Tech Lead, Engineers). Product and Engineering work hand-in-hand together — we call ourselves DevPro and in fact rarely meet in isolation.
- We value Product Designers that are able to think like Product Managers in their ability to look at solving problems from multiple angles and considering the merits and tradeoffs of different approaches. As Product Strategy evolves, you will need to effectively communicate about your understanding of problems and how your solution meets the needs of the users and the business.
- We also celebrate being accountable to outcomes which means signing up to pursue that vision by knocking down obstacles that get in the way. This looks like conducting experiments that throw off learnings, adjusting strategy based on those learnings, and of course delivering products to end-users that change behavior and drive real value for the business.
- You have 8+ years of Product/UX Design experience.
- You have 3+ years of experience coaching and managing Product/UX Designers.
- You have experience working in the B2B SaaS or adjacent environment
- You are a natural leader and are able to inspire and influence others
- You are experimental and curious; you love to test ideas, learn quickly, fail fast, and iterate.
- You demonstrate an eagerness to learn from others.
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Language Learners (ELLs). Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations with a best-in-class data and instructional planning platform, resources to build teacher capacity, and student-facing programs to teach academic language.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with over 1,200 school districts and more than 3 million current and former EL students. Over the next five years we are focused on doubling the number of students we serve and driving measurable outcomes for students. We are well-capitalized, have a strong team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here are some other perks that make us unique:
+ Great location in Boston – a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop (We are currently working 100% remotely due to COVID-19)
+ Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
+ Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
+ Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
+ On-site gym, game room and darts to support all levels of athleticism
+ Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!
Learn more about our team in our Culture Deck.
Here at Ellevation, we champion diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging. We strive to build a team that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions. We embrace all types of differences in the development of our organization. We are proud to have been recognized in prior years as “Best Tech Workplace for Diversity” from the Timmy Awards for investing in trainings around inclusive behaviors, microaggressions, unconscious bias, and fostering a culture of sharing educational resources across the company. We are encouraged by our progress, but there’s more work to be done.
Information that you provide when applying for employment with Ellevation Education may be subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act. Click here for more information about our data collection practices and your rights related to that data.