UpTogether believes every person is an expert in their own life. But too many systems in our society have been set up to prevent hardworking people from getting ahead.
That’s because in the U.S., there is a broadly held stereotype that if you’re experiencing poverty or financial hardship, it’s solely your fault. After all, others have “pulled themselves up by their bootstraps” and you can too.
UpTogether knows that’s not true. Poverty is a policy choice. That’s why starting in 2023, we renewed our focus on a bold goal of changing systems and policies so all people in the United States are seen and invested in for their strengths, and able to build power, reinforce their autonomy and drive their own economic and social mobility.
Our systems change strategy is three-pronged: We work with individuals, families, funders, governments and community partners to:
- Invest unrestricted cash in families and individuals with limited incomes
- Amplify stories that tell the true lived experiences of people with financial hardship and financially under-resourced communities
- Rally for state and local policies and practices that support and accelerate socioeconomic mobility
The strategy is grounded in our strength-based approach of community, capital and choice, which honors people’s initiatives, abilities and self-determination.
|How We Do It||Why We Do It|
|Community:||We learn from financially under-resourced communities and co-create opportunities for people to build and strengthen their social networks.||People benefit from the power of community and naturally and routinely exchange social capital and help one another.|
|Capital||We invest in individuals and families through unrestricted cash.||People must have access to sufficient capital to invest in their own lives.|
|Choice||We trust that people are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.||People are experts in their own lives and must have full choice and control over their time and resources.|
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We’re better together than we are alone, and we know that with the support of our neighbors, family and friends, all of us will have a better shot at achieving our goals and dreams.
- Impact: We focus our time and energy on collective work that will have the largest impact for people experiencing financial hardship.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of our members, partner with them to change systems and work with them to co-create opportunities for people to reach their financial goals.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We intentionally create space for everyone to lead, regardless of their title.
- Choice: We respect everyone’s autonomy and know each person is capable of making their own decisions.
UpTogether is seeking a full-time survey researcher to translate organizational learning objectives into survey research projects. The researcher will lead design and implementation of survey projects including selecting appropriate methodology, designing and validating survey instruments, managing survey administration, interpreting results, and assessing performance to improve future research.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Product and Learning and will be working collaboratively with the Product and Learning team of full-stack engineers, data analysts, and user experience designers. We are very active on Slack and are focused not only on doing meaningful work, but also enjoying the process of working and building together.
This is a 100% remote position, so the successful candidate will be located where a solid internet connection is available, and perform duties in a functional work environment.
This role will have ownership over UpTogether’s survey work, including:
- Design the organization’s approach to collecting member data via surveys
- Review existing literature to leverage established theory and instruments to advance organizational research objectives
- Determine and specify details of survey projects, including sources of information, procedures to be used, and the design of survey instruments and materials
- Develop a deep understand UpTogether’s strength based approach to shape strength-based survey questions
- Write, proofread, test, monitor, and evaluate questionnaires
- Plan, support and coordinate operations for small and large survey research projects
- Consult with teams to identify survey needs and specific requirements
- Design and select samples of subjects
- Manage administration of surveys
- Use statistical software and techniques to perform data analysis
- Direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods
- Assist or lead methodological and analytic tasks, including program/project evaluations and policy/program analysis
- Collaborate with other researchers in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of surveys
- Account for and solve problems caused by nonresponse or other sampling issues
- Evaluate suggested survey questions from partners for alignment with organizational values and learning agenda
- Provide technical advice and serve as internal consultant on social science methods and analytical issues
- Explore new statistical estimation techniques; examine how surveys can safeguard respondent privacy and confidentiality, and improvements to facilitate efficient processing of collected data.
Qualifications, Attributes & Skills
- PhD or Master’s degree in data science, economics, public policy, sociology, psychology, political science or other social science, survey methodology, or related field is a plus
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, including applied economics, social science research and/or policy analysis
- Thorough knowledge of survey methodology, research design, and best practices for conducting surveys
- Demonstrated experience producing social sciences research, planning research activities, and developing new survey instruments
- Comfort with managing research outside of academic contexts, preferred
- Domain expertise in social policy and anti-poverty programs in the US, preferred
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, effectively organize and manage time, including ability to set priorities to meet all project and organizational needs in a timely fashion
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in the use of computer software, especially packages for statistical analysis (R, Python, SAS, or Stata) and knowledge of computing platforms and data file construction
- Proficient in Qualtrics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A personal connection to UpTogether’s mission
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Ability to pivot quickly as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of low-income families and communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about people experiencing financial hardship and people of color
- Excited and energized by a dynamic work environment
- Keenly interested in learning from others
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is commensurate with experience or enter range $80,000–100,00
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Sponsorship: Please be aware that UpTogether is unable to offer employment to candidates that are not already legally authorized to work in the US at this time. Applicants that require sponsorship will unfortunately not be considered for employment with UpTogether.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link: Apply Here. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. We ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.