Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations – including government agencies and nonprofits – use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits (Watch this video to learn more: What is Merit?), and grant them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50 Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
Ohio Department of Education – Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) Program
After the Ohio State Legislature created the $125M 2-year Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) educational savings account program, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) contracted Merit to inform parents, guardians, and businesses about the new opportunity and eligibility requirements. Merit developed and delivered support systems, workflows, and digital assets for the ACE program. ODE issued digital credentials to parents and guardians certifying student eligibility, enabling them to use the grants with service providers listed in the Education Marketplace, and the Ohio ACE app is a single destination to view account balances and submit claims.
Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)
DPOR partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s salaries are competitive and transparent. Here’s a look at our pay bands based on different roles.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture, products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
Salary Band: $175,500 – $195,000
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a staff-level backend engineer, you will design, architect, and build platform features to support our partner organizations, 3rd party developers, and end consumers. Our backend is a microservice architecture implemented in Golang using Kafka for interservice communication. We use our REST API to communicate between our apps and backend as well as for our 3rd party developers. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Postgres, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, and Docker. We test and deploy our applications via CI/CD. Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. This is a full-time, 100% remote role.
- Design, architect, provide technical guidance and implement the key components of our core platform using Golang
- Deliver quality features on time, through their entire lifecycle, by taking them from ideation through working with Product, to architecting and implementing scalable, fault-tolerant solutions
- Influence the technical direction of the team by staying current with technology through constant learning
- Drive innovation, provide technical guidance, and inspire others by implementing high-quality, forward-thinking solutions
- Understand what drives value to the business and influences the direction of the product roadmap
- Build a flawless experience for internal and external platform consumers with strong documentation and clean code interfaces
- Incorporate monitoring and alerting to provide visibility, real-time user analytics, and business intelligence to Merit’s engineering and business teams
- Build infrastructure to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc
- 7+ years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Golang, NodeJS, Java, C#, or TypeScript
- Proficient in modern architecture, software design principles, and building in the cloud
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept differences, we celebrate, support and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.