Hi! We are Billie, the leading provider of “Buy Now, Pay Later” (BNPL) payment methods for businesses, offering B2B companies innovative digital payment services and modern checkout solutions. We are here to transform and upgrade the operating system of B2B Payments. Thus, we enable businesses to pay and get paid on their own terms, having the same frictionless and flexible experience as consumers are used to nowadays. To do so, our solutions are based on proprietary, machine-learning-supported risk models, fully digitized processes and a highly scalable tech platform. This makes us a deep-tech company building financial products, not the other way around. We love building simple and elegant solutions and we strive for automation and scalability. Our vision to create new freedom through innovation has attracted exciting strategic partners and highly experienced investors, making us join forces with Klarna and securing an outstanding $100 million Series C funding round nearly quadrupling our previous valuation. Our investors include VCs such as Dawn Capital, Creandum, Picus and SpeedInvest.
Join us to create the future of B2B payments!
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join our Data Platform Engineering team at Billie. In this team, you will design and shape the data infrastructure and processes that interconnect our systems.
This will help us to spot fraudsters in real-time while the order is still being placed; it will allow our engineering teams to work independently while still maintaining reliable data interfaces across product domains; it will allow us to operate the data warehouse that enables data scientists and product analysts
If we do our job well, everyone at Billie is able to use data with confidence.
As part of this role, you will:
- shape and design the role that data plays in our systems, how these systems interact and the overall culture that we build around data. You will review and improve architecture not just within the data team, but across all of Billie’s engineering disciplines
- switch between hands-on work in which you directly contribute to projects and strategic work in which you influence long-term improvements to Billie’s data landscape
- understand the context and requirements of producers and consumers of data assets and translate them into proposals for system architecture
- work with SRE and other platform teams to ensure high availability and reliability as well as care about cost management and data governance
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You understand that data infrastructure can be a huge enabler for a business – but can just as well become a blocker. You feel confident running tradeoff analyses that arrive at solutions without getting hung up on tech for the sake of tech.
- You have expertise in the design and implementation of cloud-based data architectures that run at low latency and are resilient, monitored and tested.
- You have hands-on experience in Data Governance and Data Quality contextes such as designing Metadata management pipelines and automated checks
- You have experience in domain-driven design or hexagonal architecture. You understand microservice architectures and what they mean for the data domain.
- You want to apply principles of modern software development and systems architecture to the data domain. You care about enabling other engineering teams and providing them with reliable systems and tools.
- For you, working with humans is just as important as operating machines. You are willing to challenge assumptions, question use-cases and hold people accountable to agreed standards and commitments. You enjoy collaborating with others and are comfortable facilitating a discussion and condensing it into concrete outcomes.
- You find joy in sharing your knowledge and experience with others, but also have the ability and interest to learn new technologies and methods.
NICE TO HAVE:
- You have practical experience working with AWS and Snowflake
- You have prior practical experience in Data Science, SRE/DevOps or as a Software Developer
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
- Flexible work hours and trust in your ability to deliver, empowering you to take control of your work-life balance.
- Up to 6 weeks per year of “Workation”.
- One of the best Virtual Shares Incentive Programs in the market, so that everyone at Billie is invested in our success.
- Freedom to balance working from home and the office according to you and your team’s needs. No restrictions, only guidelines and a flexibility-first approach.
- Our “Catch a Ride with Billie” program gives you a big discount on the Monthly Public Transport pass in Berlin.
- A yearly development budget to broaden your skill set and horizons. We also offer free German group classes with your colleagues.
- An English-speaking, multicultural team with more than 46 nationalities from all continents represented in our staff.
- A one-time relocation bonus if you join us in Berlin.
- A great office space near Checkpoint Charlie with free gym access, healthy snacks and cereals, fruit, coffee, soda, and beer.
Billie offers you the opportunity to be a part of one of the fastest-growing Fintech startups in Europe following the mission to innovate to create new freedom for businesses of all sizes. Our combined decades of experience in B2B Financing and Payments in a market thirsty for innovation and change make this a fantastic possibility to get into the most dynamic space in tech.
Join an international team of talented, passionate people where drive and merit matter. We work in nimble, cross-functional teams with open communication lines across the company. You’ll be surrounded by smart people from a wide variety of backgrounds from which you can learn and that want to learn from you.
Are you ready to join Billie?
Billie is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment in our workplace. By embracing talents and abilities of all kinds, we aim to boost motivation and team creativity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, marital status, gender, political views, beliefs, sexual orientation, color, disability status, or any other demographic factors.