Location: Anywhere in the US. Our engineering team is fully distributed
Salary range: $155,000-$240,000
Data-driven companies win. Mode provides the tools to make companies data-driven. Data analysts quickly answer business questions using data in a comprehensive, cloud-based toolchain. Business users can understand and explore their company’s data in our world-class visualization product. By serving both analysts and business users, Mode provides the complete solution for data-driven companies.
The Services team builds out the backend services that support Mode’s core data analytics tool. They own Mode’s in-memory data engine that loads customer data and provides near instant response time as users manipulate data and visualizations, alongside supporting micro-services.
Engineering at Mode
Come work with a diverse and deeply experienced team. We have colleagues from companies like Google, Tableau, SAS, Apple, Facebook, Glassdoor and many more. Read about our key engineering values.
Engineers at Mode work in small, cross-functional teams that own specific products and act with high autonomy. We value open discussion, collaboration and engineering excellence.
- Our services are written in Java and Golang
- Our proprietary data engine Helix caches, manages and queries customer data
- A wide array of AWS services including EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, ECR, ECS
- Monitoring and observability: Honeycomb, Wavefront, Sumologic, Bugsnag
- GitHub, Circle CI
What you’ll do
- Serve as a technical leader, learn from others and teach those around you
- Work with leadership to determine project priorities and asses project impact from a technical perspective
- Design, develop, and maintain core services within Mode’s distributed system
- Collaborate across the engineering & product organization to identify and resolve system bottlenecks / hotspots and enhance overall system performance & reliability
- Maintain development practices that let us move fast with quality
- Conceptualize and execute on features within distributed systems
- Set and maintain SLO’s using strong service principles
What we look for
- A passionate technologist, able to learn new technologies thoroughly and quickly in order to provide guidance on benefits and risks
- Experience building databases and/or data management systems (e.g. Apache Arrow, Apache Calcite, Apache Parquet, or similar technologies)
- Demonstrated experience optimizing performant distributed systems, and instrumentation of system performance and reliability
- Fluency in Java 8+
- Someone who enjoys sharing knowledge and leveling up colleagues
- Experience leading technical implementation of complex projects
- Alignment with Mode’s values
We are particularly excited if you bring experience building integrated development environments.
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we’re building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team’s passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.