Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
We are looking for a senior-level Software Engineer with experience developing full stack applications. Our existing stack is built on the AWS platform. Most apps use React, Node and GraphQL and our data pipelines harness a variety of exciting technologies like IoT, event-based architectures, and AI/ML. This role will support mid-level and junior engineers on the team, reports directly to the Lead Software Engineer, and interfaces with our Product and Analytics teams in a Scrum-adjacent environment.
This position is open to candidates based remotely in the United States (East Coast hours) or candidates already based in or willing to relocate to Lisbon, Portugal (relocation assistance and visa provided).
What you’ll do:
- Build performant and maintainable applications using Node within the AWS ecosystem.
- Work throughout the stack in an event-driven architecture.
- Write high quality, maintainable and well documented code in a collaborative environment.
- Maintain security best practices, both personally, and in the development of applications.
- Engage with stakeholders in our Scrum process to establish realistic estimates, requirements and scopes.
- Work with the Engineering Manager to ensure timelines are clear, and notify the team in the event of delays.
- Communicate progress throughout the development process.
- Develop and evaluate technical solutions and clearly explain technical concepts in an approachable and accessible way to the team.
- Help build consensus around best practices and ensure those are applied in all our solutions.
- Support junior and mid-level developers through mentorship, code review, and design planning.
- Ensure we meet the highest standards for performance, maintainability and quality.
- Research technologies and best practices to make informed technical and architectural decisions.
- Collaborate with other developers in the stack on implementation decisions.
- Support development, documentation and maintenance of shared packages.
Who you are:
- Someone who respects all voices and feels comfortable being on and participating in a team that challenges entrenched power dynamics.
- Autodidactic, especially with regard to new technologies.
- Patient and resilient, with the ability to effectively deal with setbacks.
- A collaborative team player with experience working in a self-directed, autonomous fashion.
- A problem-solver who will continually look for a way to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- Interested in shaping team culture, development processes, strategies, and the long-term growth of our company.
What you have:
- Several years experience working on a team as a Senior Software Engineer.
- Experience building accessible and performant applications at scale.
- Strong knowledge of the following (or related) technologies:React, Node, GraphQL, Cloud platforms, Github.
- Experience deploying complex applications in the cloud.
- Familiarity with event streams.
- Ability to spot potential bugs, issues, and pitfalls before they get translated into code and the motivation to work across teams to produce the best product for our users.
- Experience working cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams across multiple time zones.
- Experience explaining technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
- Dedication to the quality of your work and your craft.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage by June 18. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members that will include reviewing a sample of your code. The process will conclude with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders. Prior to the final interview, we will also request references that attest to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.
What Hala Offers You
∙ Life-saving, socially impactful work.
∙ Competitive salaries.
∙ Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
∙ Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
∙ Paid parental leave.
∙ Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
∙ Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
∙ Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
∙ A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
∙ Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.