It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
Sr. Software Dev Engineer
A Little About Us
Yahoo has the most trafficked destinations on the Internet, including Yahoo, AOL, TechCrunch, and many other well-known brands. The Yahoo Advertising System is one of the biggest online data and advertising platforms on the Internet. It empowers advertisers to reach the masses through Yahoo and partner networks. We are developing next-generation technologies to enrich our advertiser and user experience through a scalable ad platform, with ever-growing interesting challenges. We’re looking for world-class, fun-loving engineers at various experience levels to join our team, who will be working on our next-generation advertising infrastructure as well as designing and implementing state-of-the-art optimization algorithms. If you are passionate about solving complex problems, we are looking for you! You will have great opportunities to learn and contribute to programmatic advertising, big data processing and insights, machine learning, cloud computing, and real-time serving systems.
A Lot About You
You are an outstanding software engineer with years of experience in building and maintaining complex software systems. You enjoy working with a strong, cross-functional, and sometimes cross-geography team of engineers and data scientists, and you are passionate about working with our business and product teams to turn ideas into products. You love coding and experimenting with new technologies. You always think positively, have a can-do attitude, and focus on “getting stuff done” with quality. People like to work with you because you’re a capable engineer, a responsible team player, a decisive leader, and a great mentor for junior engineers.
- Develop backend applications that are validated by strong unit tests, continuous integration testing, and regression tests
- Architect solutions for real-time data streaming, event processing, and asynchronous communication between system components.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks, latency issues, and other system constraints through profiling, monitoring, and optimization
- Collect and analyze advertising data, and turn them into engineering and business insights
- Work with the business and product teams and conduct research to support ongoing innovations and discover strategic opportunities
- Support our applications in production, including working with our Support, Operations, and Product teams to minimize the incident impact on our business
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering a culture of continuous learning and knowledge sharing
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields with 5+ years of experience in software development
- Expert in Java, or C/C++, and familiar with Shell, Hadoop, Pig, SQL, and ZooKeeper
- Rich experience in online distributed systems, large-scale data processing, and complex ad hoc analyses
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Passionate, self-driven, and a team player
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a plus
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.