It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
A little about us:
Yahoo is a global media and tech company that connects people to their passions. We reach nearly 900M people around the world, bringing them closer to what they love—from finance and sports, to shopping, gaming and news—with the trusted products, content and tech that fuel their day. For partners, we provide a full-stack platform for businesses to amplify growth and drive more meaningful connections across advertising, search and media.
At Yahoo News, we are laser-focused on making discovery delightful and becoming the world’s best curator for our 35 million daily users and expanding our distribution to more platforms to meet millions more users where they are. Building the best guide to the Internet (and the world) requires building the best team.
The Production Engineering (PE/SRE/DevOps) team is the power behind engineering goodness for all above. By writing, designing and implementing software and infrastructure to drive velocity, operability, reliability and performance, the PE team ensures continuous quality and compliance on production systems. We also build and maintain tools and platforms for engineer productivity and are at the forefront of tech initiatives of infrastructure modernization with cloud platforms and experimenting with new technologies.
Yes, we are DevOps! We are all about:
Enabling a culture of ownership and excellence.
Engineering processes that are Automated and Agile.
Developing tools that are Self-Serve and (Re)Usable.
Our goal is to:
Efficiently bring products to market.
Proactively prevent defects from reaching customers.
Swiftly address and resolve any production issues.”
If you believe in the above, come join us.
A Lot About You
The Yahoo News Production Engineering team is seeking experienced DevOps/Cloud Infrastructure engineers with expertise in AWS and a strong knowledge of Web applications. If you are passionate about working in a dynamic environment and have the required skills, we would love to have you on board with us. Apply now to join our team!
We are looking for DevOps, Production Engineers (SRE’s) who are problem solvers at heart, with solid ability to dig into code and own the reliability domain. As a member of the PE team, you will work with your developer partners and implement operability improvements, security, infrastructure, automation, CI/CD, monitoring and other system requirements. You will also work in development of tools, automation platforms and intelligent monitoring.
- Manage large scale distributed systems by analyzing the existing processes and systems to identify areas of improvement.
- Collaborate with the engineering team on the product roadmap and provide support in terms of capacity planning and scaling, operability review, monitoring and alerting, process optimization, security and compliance.
- Work on challenging system and network problems to improve system performance and reliability
- Implement and maintain monitoring to provide complete transparency to application and system state, history, trends and insights
- Participate in oncall rotation, identify and resolve technical issues that arise in the production environment by closely working with engineering teams or platform teams.
- Able to provide guidance to the devops team by helping them to evaluate and implement industry best practices.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- At least 5+ years experience in DevOps/ PE / SRE and Software Development roles
- At least 5+ Years of experience in at least one of the web technologies like Node.js, Apache, Jetty, Tomcat.
- At least 2+ years experience in containerization and orchestration technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) , cloud platforms like AWS
- Proficiency in IaC Tools (e.g., Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Intermediate to advanced level of coding expertise in one or more language including Node.js, Python, or Go
- Worked & implemented Observability solutions for logging, tracing like New Relic, datadog, splunk & Grafana
- Experience in designing, managing large scale infrastructure in AWS EKS, AWS Open search, multi zone, multi region deployments.
- Design and implement DevOps tools, architectures, CI/CD pipelines, automated testing frameworks.
- Experience in web technologies like Node.js, Jetty, Tomcat, ATS is a plus
- Experience with system reliability tools like Open telemetry, Prometheus, Splunk, ELK
- Experience with large data processing and storage solutions like Storm, Spark, Hadoop Map/Reduce, Pig, Oozie, REDIS, DynamoDB, Cassandra
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
The compensation for this position ranges from $128,250.00 – $266,875.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.