The largest business and financial news site in the world, with unrivaled access to data, insights and original editorial content.
About Yahoo Finance
Yahoo Finance is the largest business and financial information and tools app/site in the world, with unrivaled access to data, insights, tools and original editorial content. Under a new leadership team, we have recommitted to building and revitalizing this essential, trusted resource for investors and savers. With 100 million unique users each month, Yahoo Finance presents amazing opportunities for brands to tell their stories and connect with consumers.
We are looking for a talented Sr. Backend Engineer as Yahoo Finance undergoes a period of rapid innovation and expansion. A successful candidate will thrive with having autonomy and agency. They will balance innovative and pragmatic approaches to building next-generation backend services and solutions for Yahoo Finance.
Who You Are
- You have a bias for action. When you see problems, you solve them.
- You are extremely curious. You are constantly interested in how the software you interact with works “under the hood.”
- You enjoy developing small building blocks and composing them into larger solutions.
- You fearlessly iterate. Your first solution only exists so that a better solution can ship instead.
- You are customer focused–regardless of whether the customer is an external user or an internal team.
- You can go from zero to a production ready, deployable, backend service.
- Hands-on development of next-generation features for Yahoo! Finance with a focus on personalization and community.
- Help to scope, plan, and implement best-in-class software practices, procedures, and delivery.
- Contribute to implementation guidelines and execution strategy for your team’s goals.
- Collaborate with your peers, product managers, and engineering leaders on new features and enhancements.
- BS in Computer Science or a related major, or equivalent experience.
- 5-7+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with Kotlin, Typescript + Node, Rust, or other statically typed server-side languages.
- Experience developing RESTful, GraphQL, or equivalent APIs consumed by other teams or consumed by user facing applications.
- Familiarity with SQL (Postgres, Mysql, etc) and key-value stores / caching such as Redis.
- Working understanding of software development design patterns, code structure and debugging tools.
- Strong team player–you are genuinely interested in opposing opinions and can support your own perspectives with thoughtful reasoning.
- Excellent listening and communication skills; able to communicate personal goals clearly.
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
The compensation for this position ranges from $128,250.00 – $266,875.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.