The Wikimedia Fundraising team runs annual fundraising campaign in Spanish throughout Latin America (Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Mexico, Chile, Peru). The team requires a linguist experienced in translation and translation review/proofreading to help translate from English to Spanish-LATAM (i.e. a “neutral” Spanish that serves as a middle-ground between the many Spanish dialects spoken across the Americas). The linguist will also help proofread banner and email content.
This will be an ongoing contract working on translating campaigns 2-10 hours a week. Remote position open to people in Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, and Uruguay.
You are responsible for:
Respond to requests for translation assistance (Translation, Translation Review, or Proofreading) on an ad-hoc basis and submit completed work and/or tasks by mutually agreed upon deadlines. We will request your personal feedback on our messages (discussing cultural and idiomatic nuances).
- Translation [Primary Task]
- The Linguist will be the go-to translator for all online fundraising content in Spanish-LATAM. Including but not limited to: email and banner fundraising appeals, payment forms, donor support pages, etc.
- Revise reviewer edits
- A Localization best practice is that all content that is translated must undergo an additional translation review by someone different than the original translator (i.e. by a language service agency or native speaking colleague in the Wikimedia movement). This QA ensures quality and catches any potential spelling, grammar, punctuation, or translation errors. The linguist will thus need to revise the suggested edits made by the reviewer, and decide whether to accept/incorporate them, or whether to reject them.
- Final proofreading of content after it has been coded, before going live
- To surface any errors (spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.) that could have been made during the coding process
Skills and Experience:
- Native Spanish speaker with excellent verbal and written English skills
- Proven English to Spanish translation and translation review experience in marketing or fundraising
- Preference given to those with proven experience interpreting and/or interest in Wikipedia communities
Qualities that are important to us:
- Highly dependable and punctual
- Able to work productively in a flexible environment
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience in the Wikipedia editing community or with the movement
- Copywriting experience
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated hourly pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$30 per hour to US$50 per hour with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
News from across the Wikimedia movement