Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a Solutions Architect to join our expanding Solutions Engineering team.
Code for America’s Solutions Engineering team partners with state and local governments to diagnose and improve the delivery of Social Safety Net services like SNAP, Medicaid and WIC.
The Social Safety Net is one of Code for America’s flagship efforts: with work including the Integrated Benefits Initiative, GetCalFresh and Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer program to benefit school children in need. In our Integrated Benefits Initiative, we’re working in Minnesota to reduce the time to apply for SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid from 110 minutes to under 20 minutes, and integrating directly with state eligibility systems. Our Safety Net work also includes Pandemic EBT and other rapid response projects, where we built tools and offered support to states ramping up emergency food assistance for students that would normally receive meals at school.
It’s an exciting time for our Safety Net Services team as our work is expanding with an ambitious national strategy, adding product delivery to over a dozen additional states, creating replicable, scaleable products and consulting with states trying to improve their existing services.
About the role:
We’re seeking a Solutions Architect to help us facilitate technical collaboration with government partners as we roll out this program out across the country. In this role, you’ll spend time with key government agencies to build rapport with their technical team, understand their technical needs, and develop a shared understanding of the role that this program can play in helping them achieve their goals. This will involve identifying and implementing small software development and integration projects, when appropriate.
This role may be perfect for you if you have the technical skills to tackle engineering problems, the social skills to face human-factors problems, and the judgment to differentiate between the two. The ability to communicate complex technical concepts in straightforward language to non-technical audiences will be critical to your success.
In this position you will:
- Integrate with third-party applications through the use of robotic process automation tools and software
- Assist in project planning and drafting statements of work and technical requirements
- Build and maintain relationships and develop technical champions within government and partner organizations.
- Implement proof-of-concept applications, software installations, and custom development projects.
- Participate in calls with government partners and provide written resources to communicate complex technical concepts.
- Provide technical perspectives and expertise in service of improved government services for government agencies, organizational stakeholders, and other key audiences.
- Work closely with cross-functional government partners to clarify problems and understand system constraints, and offer feasible and high-value technical solutions that consider the needs of all stakeholders.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers
- 1 year of direct experience working with Robotic Process Automation software, such as UiPath or Microsoft Power Automate
- Some experience with Chatbot and call center automation technologies
- Ability to engage in research to learn about current systems and architecture, and then incorporate this knowledge to design new solutions and new architectures.
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Willingness to travel, post Covid.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range are as follows:
- Staff Solutions Architects – The targets for this role range from $128,945 – $157,850
- Principal Solutions Architects – The targets for this role range from $143,884 – $176,138
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.