As an engineer on the playback team at Plex, you will be part of a group responsible for building & maintaining some of the most critical components of one of the most-watched & highest-rated streaming apps across multiple platforms.
What you’ll do
- You will work on maintaining, optimizing, and improving client-side video playback components.
- You will collaborate closely with Product, UX, and Marketing to shape new playback features and update existing features.
- You will participate in code reviews and discussions that drive the team and the product forward.
- You will have the opportunity to work on mobile & TV client applications, including iOS, Android, tvOS, and web-based clients.
What you bring to the table
- You have at least 3 years of relevant software engineering experience.
- You have experience working with or on low-level video playback infrastructure, such as FFmpeg, x264 / x265, MPV, ExoPlayer, or AVFoundation.
- You have experience working on native user-facing applications on one or more platforms like Android, iOS, macOS, or Roku.
- You enjoy jumping into a new code base and getting down to the nuts & bolts of how things work.
- You have read the 8 Plex values and are willing to go out of your way to embrace, maintain, and continue those values and the amazing Plex culture.
- You’re self-motivated, ready to work fully remote, and able to work well in a distributed team across the globe.
- You’re a software engineer with experience working in groups, but with the ability to work independently.
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to be nimble and shift priorities as called for in a dynamic space.
- You are hungry to have an impact, continuously working to improve our product, process and push the team to be its best.
Who we are
Plex is a global streaming media platform that gives millions of customers around the world the freedom to enjoy all the content they love in one simple, beautiful app. Our vision is to empower real human connections by bringing people and entertainment together. So, we’re on a mission to create a global community for streaming content that people can depend on to easily discover, experience, and share all of the entertainment that matters to them.
What sets us apart
- We are the largest independent streaming platform built by a global team of employees who are fanatically passionate about delivering the highest quality, most unified, and user-friendliest entertainment experience possible.
- We have always been a distributed organization, with people making great things happen in nearly 20 different countries and 11 time zones.
- We host epic in-person off-sites to bring team members together a few times a year.
- We are passionate about our mission and we work hard, while still providing flexibility around a schedule that works for you.
- We love what we’re building and our user community is an integral part of our development process. We actively engage with customers to understand what is working, what they want more of, and how we can be better.
- We are committed to improving the communities where we live and work with charitable contributions, partnerships, and service.
- Plex hires new team members in countries around the world.
- As such, Plex does not sponsor employment visas.
- All of our roles are remote, however, some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our hiring team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
- Also, please note, though we largely work asynchronously, as it relates to meetings, those generally occur in UTC -7 to UTC -4
The Plex Values
- Be kind, humble, and helpful.
- Approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- Put yourself on the customer’s couch.
- Be a good steward. Like a boss!
- Build relationships to ensure healthy debate.
- Foster a global and diverse team spirit.
- Show gratitude and give back.
- Seek balance for yourself and Plex.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Hardware stipend
- Flextime, work from anywhere
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical/dental/vision) (US employees)
- Stock options
- 401k (US employees)
- Plex for the Planet community service opportunities
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
- At Plex, we get our people together at least twice a year to help forge connections, build relationships and have an awesome time. As such, Plex has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, subject to legally required disability or religious accommodations, for all in-person events. Please note, these events are optional.
Does this sound interesting? We’re looking for a Software Engineer, Playback who is ready to join us to have a material impact in Plex’s growth and success!
Plex is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.