mmhmm is a video communication company helping people instantly produce live and recorded video presentations that are entertaining to watch and easy to make. Founded in 2020, we believe being better at video is a crucial skill for any successful modern business. As a fully distributed, global team ourselves, we’re on a mission to empower people who work on video (that is, nearly everyone) to create more sustainable and joyful ways to work, teach, and collaborate. Our growing team includes founding members of Evernote, and we’re backed by Softbank Vision Fund, Sequoia Capital and other leading investors. mmhmm is part of All Turtles, a mission-driven product studio building meaningful products people love.
As an audio/video software engineer on our macOS team, you’ll be a key member of the small team developing our flagship Mac desktop application. You’ll work with designers, product managers and other engineers to develop new functionality, improve performance and fix bugs. We work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, preferring communication and common sense to highly structured processes and formal documentation.
You’re the right person for this job if you like to work on small, autonomous teams to create new things, take pride in the quality of the user experiences that you create, and love to see your work used by people who are passionate about what you’ve built.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Making major contributions to the audio and video processing layer of mmhmm for macOS. This includes video and audio capture, rendering, and compositing.
- Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving issues reported by our internal teams and our customers that often involve complex hardware and software configurations which have caused degraded performance of our audio and video processing systems.
- Identifying components of the application that could be refactored for improved performance, clarity, or maintainability.
- Designing software for scalability, maintainability, and security.
- Ensuring that we deliver at high quality, release after release.
You must have:
- Deep experience developing macOS applications in Swift and Objective-C.
- Experience using AVFoundation, CoreMedia, CoreAudio, CoreImage, VideoToolbox or AVKit framework
- Familiarity with inner workings of media systems or audio/video codecs
- A proven ability to manage your own time and workload.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an aptitude for conveying clear thoughts and ideas.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Experiencing developing iOS applications in Swift and Objective-C
- Experience developing for Metal
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the Engineering Manager. This role can be based in any location. Since our fully distributed team works across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, as well as a suite of optional benefits and perks programs including parental leave and flexible PTO.
All Turtles and mmhmm are committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.