We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
Our web platform is built on React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on a mixture of Heroku and AWS. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps – iOS and Android – written in Swift and Kotlin respectively and a Chrome Extension in React. We also employ WebRTC and WebSockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and media processing.
Over ten years and 57K commits later, we’ve maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
We’re looking for smart, creative, driven Software Engineers to build great software with us. You’ve dived head first into learning Android development. You’ve studied and experimented with Android libraries, Java or Kotlin, and even tried to build an app or two on your own! You’re currently working in an Android engineering role, and feel excited by the idea of working on an Android application utilizing cutting edge tech like GraphQL, WebSockets, and WebRTC. You don’t know all the answers, but feel comfortable admitting when you don’t know. You have meaningful conversations with Lead Engineers, Product Managers, and Designers due to all the questions you bring to the table. You value learning and you look for every opportunity to grow.
what you will do
- Be an active member of a cross-functional product development team that frequently interfaces with business stakeholders
- Collaborate with your iOS counterpart(s) as well as other front & backend engineers
- Develop our customer facing Android app in a fast-paced agile development environment
- Be responsible for the technical quality of your product
- Work closely with the design team to implement user-friendly and modern UI
- Apply DevOps mindset to improve the rollout and other operational aspects of our Android app
what you need to have
- 1+ years experience doing Android development
- Beginner to intermediate level understanding of Kotlin or Java, Android application lifecycle, Android frameworks, Material UI, networking
- Strong design sense for mobile UX, understanding of Android’s design principles and interface guidelines
- Empathy for the user
🇺🇸 This position is open to candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States and who will be located in the US by their start date.
We do our best to write realistic, accurate job descriptions, but we also recognize that great talent comes in many forms and from many backgrounds. Not sure if you meet all of the above bullets? Please apply anyway!
dscout is committed to providing our employees with the flexibility to work in a location that works for you. If you like working in an office, this role may be based in our Chicago HQ. If you prefer to work from home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, so let us know where you’re located, and we’ll let you know if we can accommodate that location.
dscout is a team full of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we look for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today, and we are excited to build our future with you.
It doesn’t just stop there. When you join the dscout team, you will get:
* A strong and competitive compensation package with a built-in bonus and equity program.
* An incredible and progressive benefits package to support work/life balance includes flexible PTO, 11 company holidays, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and much more.
* A company that is open and transparent with our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
* An education stipend to support your growth & development. As you grow, we grow.
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We’ll do all we can to ensure you’re set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including accommodation requests. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
dscout participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
NOTE: DSCOUT NEVER CONTACTS JOB APPLICANTS VIA TEXT, MESSENGER, OR OTHER SIMILAR APPLICATIONS. BE AWARE OF PHISHING AND SPOOFING SCAMS, BOTH VIA TEXT AND EMAIL. ONLY RESPOND TO EMAILS FROM DSCOUT.COM