It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
We are looking for great people to join the Yahoo Ads technology organisation where we are seeking a Software Development Manager to lead several teams of Software Engineers. Specifically, you will join the Ads Technology leadership team in Dublin where we build Advertising Platforms for Publishers.
In this role you’ll manage Software Development teams distributed across Europe, you’ll collaborate with partners across Yahoo’s groups and teams and build relationships with Product Managers, Architects, Programme Managers and Production Engineering to evolve our Platforms.
If web scale technology excites you and you love working with smart people then come and join our team.
- Manage 2-3 software develop teams across two platforms: Supply Side Platform (SSP) and Reserved Ad Server (RAS)
- Lead 10+ engineers (full time and contract staff) across those teams
- Coach, grow and nurture both engineers and teams
- Organise, operate and improve Agile processes and practices with the teams
- Collaborate with stakeholders to prioritise work
- Ensure the right level of technical leadership is provided to the team
- Communicate across the organisation
- Support our DevOps team to scale and sustain our environments
- Occasionally, deep dive a problem and work towards a solution
- Manage a “4th tier of support” dev on-call rotation and participate in a leads on-call rotation.
Skills and Qualifications
- You have a Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field
- 2+ years of technical management experience or equivalent leading software development teams
- 4+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Hands-on experience in coding, designing, architecting & troubleshooting
- A track record of organisational skills
- Experience as a technical owner of a component or feature
- A track record of supporting and improving staff engagement
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- An appreciation for growth, mentorship and coaching of staff
- A track record of “going deep” to learn a technical domain, tool or technology
- 4+ years of previous experience with Java, C++ or Python
- Experience with AWS or Cloud technologies
- Experience with Big Data or Web scale platforms
Technologies we use
- AWS (RDS, S3, Lambda, Glue, EKS, ECS)
- HTTP, TCP/IP, Thrift, AVRO
- Jetty, Spring, Apache Traffic Server, NGINX, RHEL
- Aerospike, MySQL, Vertica, Hive, Hadoop
“You may be required to work on-call to support systems and equipment outside of normal working hours on an assignment basis”.
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.