Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 7,000 transit professionals in over 110 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.7 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will contribute significantly to Swiftly’s vision of building a Connected Transit Platform. Our software ingests and analyzes real-time location and other data from vehicles to enable agencies to operate better service. This role will join a team responsible for turning our unique real-time insights into action, building software products and interfaces used directly day-to-day by transit professionals. There will be a real, tangible impact from your work, as your team will enable transit agencies to run more efficient, reliable service while keeping passengers informed.
We encourage you to apply if the above is exciting to you and if you meet half or more of the below requirements. Above all else, we value candidates who angle toward growth, leveraging a positive attitude and the aptitude to relentlessly seek and solve problems to deliver impact. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, then we’d love to talk!
Swiftly’s office is located in San Francisco, CA. We are open to local or remote candidates living in the US or Ontario, Canada. We are unable to provide Visa sponsorship at this time.
- Partner closely with designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build products that delight our customers
- Build features in Swiftly’s SaaS web frontend, mobile app, and APIs
- Enhance algorithms in our core data system to improve the quality of generated data or handle new real-world scenarios
- Help your team make progress on our product vision by delivering incremental value — anticipating dependencies and breaking down work into smaller batches — and then identifying and improving bottlenecks as our data volume grows
- Seek feedback on system designs by identifying technical tradeoffs, presenting proposed solutions in a clear way, and documenting decisions
- Strive to embody software best practices in your work and proliferate them through teamwork, mentoring, and code reviews
- Apply principles of observability to ensure data systems remain highly available with a low mean-time-to-recovery by incorporating monitoring, logging, alerting, and metrics displayed in-product
You’ll be a good fit if…
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do
- You have 5+ years of software engineering experience
- You love applying technology to solve real problems for customers and users
- You’ve built end-to-end applications between the frontend, backend, and database layers
- You’ve built cloud-native applications on a major cloud platform (e.g. AWS) and embrace a continuous delivery mentality
- You have experience working with real-time data analysis systems, and bonus if experience with AI/ML
- Bonus if familiar with our tech stack: Java, Node.js, TypeScript, Vue.js, Python/JupyterHub, Android, AWS, Docker (AWS ECS), PostgreSQL
- You embrace a mindset of continuous learning – helping both yourself and those around you adapt as technology constantly evolves
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time to support your team’s goals
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong
**FOR U.S. CANDIDATES ONLY:**
In accordance with pay transparency laws: the approximate salary range for this role is $120,000 to $209,000 (base salary + any variable comp). This range represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary for this position. Actual salaries will vary and are based on a multitude of non-discriminatory factors including final role leveling decisions, a candidate’s relevant work experiences/skills, and geographic location within the United States. Note: salary ranges for non-U.S. candidates may be higher or lower than the U.S. numbers above depending on location.
Salary is one component of Swiftly’s total compensation package, which also includes stock options, competitive benefits, 401(k) matching, a fantastic team and culture, opportunity to have a huge impact, emphasis on professional growth and holistic wellness, and other perks.
– Competitive salary
– Stock options for every employee
– Medical, Dental and Vision
– 401k with Employer Match
– Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
– Home office setup reimbursement
– Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
– Monthly Education Reimbursement
– Flexible PTO
– Flexible work environment
– 16 paid holidays – including holidays in months without US national holidays in 2022
– 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you’re passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
We are an equal opportunity employer – we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.