As a Senior Backend Software Engineer working with the Weedmaps team, you will be empowered to contribute to our products in meaningful ways. We cover an array of users from growers to dispensaries to consumers and we constantly strive to improve the experience for each of those segments using cutting edge design and implementation practices. As a major player in this emerging industry, we have an opportunity to help define the market landscape and we invite you to help in that effort.
The Weedmaps eComm Enablement and Integrations teams are building the biggest in-house cannabis e-commerce platform along with advertising features for our clients. We operate a two sided marketplace for customers to make orders online and clients to advertise their products. The team works closely with our customers, product, and design to deliver best in class products.
The impact you’ll make:
- Contribute to mission critical services that power online ordering for thousands of cannabis storefronts and delivery services
- Build integrations with other industry partners.
- Build APIs to enhance the consumer & dispensary eCommerce experience hosted at weedmaps.com
- Take ownership of significant initiatives and drive them from development through completion
- Collaborate closely with Design, QA, Product and fellow developers to define and scope initiatives by balancing risks, constraints, and speed to market
- Cultivate a sense of customer empathy to continue building an exceptional product
- Identify opportunities for improvement to our engineering and business processes as we scale our engineering teams and the overall organization
What you’ve accomplished:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree / work experience
- 2+ years working experience in Elixir/Phoenix
- Effective communication skills, a positive attitude, and ability to give and receive constructive feedback through mentoring, pair programming sessions, and code reviews
- Proven ability to influence cross functional stakeholders
- Minimum of 5+ years software development experience at startup / mid-sized companies
- Professional experience coding backend application in a production environment
- Professional experience developing large, scalable backend applications
- Developed an understanding of system architecture and design; with consideration given to security, performance, scalability, and handling of personally identifiable information
- Owned the technical design of major features or projects and can articulate the reasoning behind trade-offs made in your designs
- Experience building internal and external APIs with proper documentation and versioning strategies that avoid breaking changes whenever possible
- Experience with SQL databases such as MySQL, Postgres or SQL Server
- Experience adding telemetry, alerting and monitoring to services
- Love taking on the challenge of learning new technologies
- Self-starter attitude with a disciplined work ethic
- Experience in both Ruby & Elixir
- Experience in a functional programming language
- Experience with frontend frameworks such as React or Next.js
- Subject matter expert in specific vertical i.e. Payments, Logistics, E-Commerce
- Experience with our runtime environments and tools: Kubernetes, DataDog, PagerDuty, Honeybadger, CodeFresh
Our 2022 Benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee – employer paid premium 100%
- Dependent – employer paid premium 80%
- HMO – Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA – Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D – employer paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- BenefitEd (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with your fellow Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- INCORRECT: email@example.com
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants in order to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
If you are unsure if a communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance and we appreciate your interest in working with us!